Sunday, September 6, 2009

39 -- Death Cab for Cutie -- Wednesday, April 8, 2009 -- DAR Constitution Hall – DC

DAR Constitution Hall ROCKS! James and a bunch of others may hate it, insisting that it drowns out vocals, but I don’t care. Whatever it loses in vocals, it gains tenfold in acoustics. Pianos, drums, harps, guitars – all sounds are enhanced at Constitution Hall. It made Ben Folds’ encore successful, Smashing Pumpkins’ entire set euphoric, and moved Death Cab from the Merriweather “C” to a far more respectable “B+.” Now if I could only get Arcade Fire to play there...









Another reason for my warmer response to this show was the fact that I had fully listened to Narrow Stairs. Stairs contains numerous haunting songs – “Your New Twin Size Bed,” “Long Division,” “I Will Possess Your Heart” – but “Bixby Canyon Bridge” is my clear favorite. I could go on about its echoes, its atmosphere, and its references to Kerouac, but in truth, I most love that it was featured on Friday Night Lights. Such a slave for that show…

Grade: B+

1 comment:

  1. hmmm...I don't recall saying that DAR sucks...I actually really like it having seen a few concerts there myself. It's rather intimate and there really is no bad seat in the house.

    ReplyDelete