Friday, July 2, 2010

67 –- Phoenix –- Monday, April 26, 2010 –- DAR Constitution Hall -– DC

There were a number of cool things about the Phoenix concert: I got to see it with Kim Walker and Jen McGovern, it was held at sound-boosting DAR Constitution Hall, and Phoenix brought a lot of enthusiasm to each song. (The best songs were the bouncy “Lasso,” the moody “Love Is A Sunset,” and the funky “Squaredance.” It’s also hard not to like “Lisztomania.”)

All of those cool things were overshadowed by the fact that, at the end of the concert, they gave a third of the audience a shot to run up and join them on stage! I thought they’d finished the last song, “1901,” but clearly not. As long as you could make it up there by the 20th time they repeated “fold it, fold it, fold it” (which I always thought was “ballin, ballin, ballin”), you could jump in and join the band! And by the last few seconds, by the 17th “ballin,” I did – I made it on stage. :)

Grade: B+

Unless you’re a big Phoenix fan, my advice for these clips is to skip to the last two. The second-to-last is the Phoenix album version of “Lisztomania.” This will give you an idea of Phoenix and the song. The last is a version done by a whole class of elementary school students. It is INCREDIBLE. I challenge you to watch it and not be moved.













2 comments:

  1. that show was fantastic! i still can't believe you made it up on stage--Kim and I were like "there is no way we can make it before the song ends ... " but then it kept going! glad you enjoyed your first Phoenix show : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yeah, half the people in my section dashed to the stage as quickly as they could. Yay, blog comments. :)

    ReplyDelete