Wednesday, April 20, 2011

82 -- Jimmy Eat World -- Sunday, February 13, 2011 -- 9:30 Club -- DC

I really should be used to the pattern at this point, but I’m surprised every time. The pattern goes like this: I see a couple of lackluster shows, I assume that’s how shows will be from now on, and then, out of nowhere, I see an “A” show. The lyrics, vocals, instruments, and stage presence come together in a way that makes me, once again, believe in live music.

The unique element of this “A” concert was that, at first, it had nothing going for it. I’d already seen Jimmy Eat World live twice, and the last concert had been a tricked-out full-album show. There was nowhere to go but down.

And yet, this Jimmy Eat World Sunday show was a blast. They sold you on each word of each song. They did not rely on gimmicks; they let their music generate the excitement. You left Girl Talk and Gogol Bordello with a sugar rush; you left Jimmy Eat World with a five-course meal.












Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment