Thursday, March 28, 2013

124 -- Fun. -- Thursday, January 31, 2013 -- DAR Constitution Hall -- DC

Fun. put on a very enjoyable concert that fit its name.  Being backlogged with concert reviews is much less enjoyable, so here are quick bullet points from the show…

--- They start with “Out on the Town”!  Beginning with a bonus track – interesting.  How is this not a single?  I’m glad it isn’t though, ‘cause it makes me feel special knowing / liking it haha.

--- So early for “Some Nights”?!  Should've ended with it, but still amazing.

 --- The train-animation-filled “All the Pretty Girls” is a bit lame.  As are “At Least I’m Not as I Used to Be” and the Tetris-filled “All Alone.”


--- Surprisingly excited for the mid-tempo “Why Am I The One.”  A recommendation eventually got me into the song and the intro reminds me of Weezer – can’t figure which Weezer song?

--- DAR is the perfect venue for them -- big instrumentals, vocals spot on anyway.


--- "Heyyy-o, dayyy-o, daylight’s comin’ and me want to go home" – heh, same call-and-response used by Green Day live

--- “It Gets Better” is way stronger in concert.  The bouncy rhythm, the neon lights, and frontman Nate Ruess’ admission that he no longer smells like cigarettes all get big applause.

--- “Barlights”!  Didn't recognize the arresting acoustic intro, but that made it an even stronger song.  “You know I I I I feel alive.”

--- “Carrrry On”! So tender – and it swells.  Best improvement of the night. I could listen to that ten times on a loop – should be longer.

--- Heh, this little kid flips out at a song entitled “What The F.”  The song gets more interesting by the gentle / strange ending, but it’s still no “Blankest Year.”

--- Whoa, “We Are Young” gets a slower remix – and a hundred burning flames.

--- The lesser known "It's All Alright" is a solid followup.  “If you don't know the words to this one, you'll learn real quick.”  They literally walk off to the audience slow singing the chorus -- nicely done.

--- HA, their ‘quiet’ encore re-entrance, “One Foot,” is blaring.

--- Their last song, “Stars,” features the line “miss you so much” -- clever.  It also features Kanye-level autotune.

--- Overall, it was a satisfying show.  I’m sure the next concert will be equally…fun.  (Gah, writing that last line was painful.  Hope at least Mr. Mingo enjoyed it…)

Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment