Saturday, June 29, 2013

133 -- Bruno Mars -- Wednesday, June 26, 2013 -- TD Garden -- Boston, MA

Bruno Mars’ brand of pop is not necessarily my favorite type of music.  His live performances could also use more ad libbing, moments where he makes specific connections with specific songs.

That said, there was very little to criticize about Bruno Mars' Boston performance, and everyone in the arena (including me) seemed to have a good time.  His energy, his vocal ability, and the production values were all remarkably strong.

Some live reactions:

--- Pounding drums, a huge green parrot, a huge forest backdrop, the first word of the song being ‘hello’...“Welcome to the Moonshine Jungle” indeed. 

--- Saying "Natalllllie" is surprisingly fun – as is the random explosion at the end.  

--- The vendor will not sell me a large pink lemonade even though the large cups are RIGHT THERE in the cabinet.  I tell him, “I’m not trying to be difficult; I’m genuinely curious why they can’t be used.”  “Honestly,” the guy said, “I don’t know.  I just know all of them are banned.”  So strange.  Did Mike Bloomberg become mayor of Boston?!

--- “Runaway” is awesome – especially with the sirens and megaphones.  Only thing missing is a duet with Joshua Ledet!   

 
--- “Young Girls” is a nice, tender change of pace.  Aww, the woman next to me is singing along.

--- The intro to “Treasure:” “This is time to put down your camera phones and DANCE.”  HA!  Guilty as charged.

--- I officially decide to stop multitasking.  Don't want to miss anything.  The show has gotten GOOD.

--- Wow, it wasn’t on his two albums, so I completely forgot about “Billionaire.”  Such a good song.  Wish Travie McCoy’s rap section was in there, but the Chuck Berry intro (Bruno B. Goode?) and the full-arena ending more than makes up for it. By far the best so far.



--- Can’t remember if this is the reggae “Show Me” or the reggae “Liquor Store Blues.”  Not a fan of either.

--- “Marry You” remains happy and catchy as ever.  Shocked he did not mention today’s Supreme Court decision.  Come on, Bruno, don’t do such a canned show.  Adapt! 

--- Shows his crazy good falsetto in “If I Knew.”  Nice intro as well: “My first album was called Doo-Wops and Hooligans  because I love old school music, and it's very important I stay true to that.”

--- Then a series of strange things happen.  First, he invites this girl to come on stage and dance with him.  Next, he calls her Natalie, like in the song.  Then, he has most of the rest of the band randomly mack on her?!  Finally, the strangest part, she never even comes on stage!  At least we get one of the band member's poems out of it: “Roses are red, violets are purple, as long as I'm with you, I'll never hurt you.”  Lol.  Reminds me of my brilliant second-grade effort: “Chocolate is brown / vanilla is white; I’d take you any day over a bottle of Sprite.”  Ms. McDaid may not have liked it, but that woman was awful.  Don’t believe me?  Her reaction to the poem: “Well, Colin, poetry is not for everyone.”  Neither, apparently, is teaching…

--- Intro to "When I Was Your Man": “This is the hardest song I’ve ever had to write.”  What a vocal.

--- “Grenade” is a good attempt at darkness.  The scary piano intro, cool trumpet middle, and extended guitar ending all show chops.

 
--- “Just The Way You Rrrrrrrr.”  Still no Supreme Court?!  The vocal acrobatic remix at the end makes up for it.

--- Encore.  What dubstep ridiculousness is this?  Wow, he's full on playing drums -- nice.  “Locked Out Of Heaven” can swagger AND soar.  Gold confetti!

--- Lol, “Gorilla” features so many explosions – and green gorillas!  Not sure how I feel about the awkward acapella section.  Totally sure how I feel about discussing the physical double entendres on stage -- moving right along…

Grade: A-

2 comments:

  1. Haha! Great review! Love the poetry part and the Supreme Court comments! Adapt, Bruno! Adapt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Glad to see my second grade debacle came to some good in the end. Ha, I agree.

    ReplyDelete