Sunday, December 29, 2013

143 -- Alkaline Trio -- Thursday, November 7, 2013 -- The Fillmore -- Silver Spring, MD

The success of an Alkaline Trio show rests almost entirely on their setlist.  The shows are absurdly short (66 minutes this time), so every track counts.  This show did not feature what I would consider an amazing setlist.  I’m interested to see what Casey Cunningham, who was also at the show, thought.  Casey’s got incredible punk credentials, having probably gone to more A.T. concerts than me and braving this one on crutches!  Navigating mosh pits on crutches?  Hard to get more punk than that.

In any case, rather than march through each part of the show, I’ll make my own setlists: that is, divide what I heard into Good, Very Good, Bad, Huh, Hmm, and, (to quote the band itself), Hell Yes.  Anyone who knows A.T. and would arrange the songs differently, lemme know…


Good: “I Wanna Be a Warhol,” “Standard Break,”  “Bleeder,” and “I Lied My Face Off.” The newborn babies part of “I Lied My Face Off” is so scary.

Very Good: The underrated “Cringe” and “I Found Away.”  The whoas make “Sadie;” the lalalas make “Help Me.”  Loved that I was thrown everywhere during “This Could Be Love.”  “Time To Waste” was the best surprise of the night: they got everyone to clap at the start and built a killer atmosphere by the end.

Bad: “Every Thug Needs a Lady.”  It’s not bad necessarily, but they play it every show, and it doesn’t deserve it.  “Kiss You to Death” / “Young Lovers.”  These two songs, like the crowd that night, were way too tame.

Huh: “Warbrain,” “Queen of Pain,” “Dead and Broken.”  (‘Huh’ means I had somehow never heard of the songs -- even though I’ve listen to all albums ten-plus times??)       

Hmm: Where was “Armageddon”?  Where was “Radio”?  Why was the trademark skeleton heart backdrop replaced with a girl with dripping eyeliner? 

HY:  “Calling All Skeletons.”  I heard it two feet from the stage; everyone was so amped up.  “Take Lots With Alcohol.”  It took me eight shows, but I finally got it! 


Grade: B


 

No comments:

Post a Comment