Thursday, July 10, 2014

152 -- Alabama Shakes -- Saturday, April 26, 2014 -- 9:30 Club -- DC

Live iPhone notes below…

--- Frontwoman Brittany Howard, walking on to a hilarious Boys 2 Men track, announced, “we’ve got some surprises in store for you!”  Her unscripted ‘wooo!’ during “Rise to the Sun” qualified as one of those.  I was also surprised to find that “Always Alright” was from Silver Linings Playbook, not Boys and Girls.

--- The shocker of the night, however, was “Hold On.”  First, I was surprised they would play their biggest hit so early.  Second, I was surprised how mind-blowingly good it was.  I had been furious at the start of the show (over a now-positive situation), and that song single-handedly got me over my anger.

--- The guy in the crowd during “Heartbreaker” broke mine.  Who could be sad when he was so moved?  Love the last few mumbled lines at the end.

--- Classy shout out to the crowd on the top level.  “We're gonna get to know each other tonight.”
--- Brittany debuts this spoken-word, just-the-mic song named “Joe.”  There was another new one about “loving you or your Mickey Mouse tattoo,” lol.

--- “DC, ‘Be Mine’!” After a performance like that, she certainly was!!

--- A second song single-handedly overcomes my anger.  This time, I cease to notice crippling lower back problems after I come back from the bathroom and hear her launching into “Heavy Chevy,” a high-energy scat bonus track.

--- Sounds like she says, “Thank you for the hemp.”  (She actually says ‘hand.’ ;))

--- Awesomely moody track, by FAR my favorite new one: “Gemini I & II.”   “Psychedelic,” a man in the crowd insists, “It’s Matthew McConaughey in Dazed and Confused.”

--- Perfect transition with “On Your Way”!  Such build as well.  I am so seeing them again.  Maybe with Mike Erickson for the second time, Kyle Carlock / Alex Kelley for the first, or someone totally new.  Regardless, they’re worth sharing.

--- Brittany’s intro to “You Ain't Alone”: “Glad you came, DC.  Glad you came.  Make me feel so good.  You've got me sweating feverishly, got my cardiovascular system pumping.  I don't know anything...except I like it.”  Couldn’t agree more.

Grade: A 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment