Sunday, July 24, 2016

185 -- Melinda Doolittle -- Saturday, December 19, 2015 -- Reston Town Center -- Reston, VA

Melinda Doolittle was the most underrated contestant in American Idol history. The sophistication in her songs, the care she showed interpreting each line, was unparalleled.  She never got the recognition she deserved during her season or subsequent seasons.
  




















Fortunately, she was able to earn recognition for her post-episode commentaries with the inimitable Michael Slezak.  My Idol co-viewer James Porter and I would often enjoy their canny, lively recaps more than the actual episodes!  
















You would think no one could top keen insights like “for me, for you, check it out, dawg.  This girl is bold right here.  She wants this.  Dude, you delivered, man!”  Somehow, though, she and Slezak were able to manage...  

In a moment, I will try to offer my own commentary on Melinda’s live show. Before I do, though, I had to share a final, glorious blast from the Idol past. “This is a crazy moment. No, no, this is weird. People are always saying we all agree. Actually this time we all disagree, but we actually all agree again. I didn’t like it either. Here’s why. Here’s why! Here’s why. Here’s why here’s why. Here’s why. Just such a subdued moment from you and you do those things in your sleep. It was just okay.”  Ladies and gentleman…Randy Jackson. :)   

Enough of that Randy foolishness, though -- back to Melinda.  














Without further ado, here are my iPhone observations from Melinda’s live show:

--- The control and restraint she showed during “I'm Still In Love with You” was remarkable.

--- “Try a Little Tenderness” had a sick scat section at the end.  If only the comatose Centrum Silver audience appreciated it!

--- Clever transition to the seated, soft “Let's Stay Together.”

--- Hilarious story about her speed talking her way out of the arms of a hot Atlanta guy.  It ended with a geisha bow!! She then brilliantly incorporates it into "The Man Who Got Away."  The syncopation during the last ten seconds, on the title line, is incredible.

--- An unnamed NFL player assumed she has a husband, then a boyfriend, and then a girlfriend.  This made for a fearsome transition into “That's Life”!!!  I am so in now.

--- Brilliant last-line edit of “Man's World” with “Without ME.”

--- HA at sing-speaking during “Don't Touch Me.”  Heh at ‘well, maybe you.’

--- I'm sadness, then anger, then I move on.  I call the anger "sass" though.  (HA.)  The rendition of “W-O-M-A-N” in the audience is fierce!!

--- Her spoken intro made “Home” lyrics more meaningful.  Intro: “When you find that person, I hear that you find that place, that safe place.”  Lyrics: “Brand new world, might be a fantasy, but it taught me to love, so I know that it’s real to me."

--- Encore with a stripped-down "Midnight Train."  Such elegance.

--- I was thrilled to talk to Melinda after the show.  I was able to offer specific positive feedback instead of a general “you were great” gush.  I was also glad to get a signed CD for James and explain what she had meant to us over the years.  Finally, I was glad she did not call security during my Donald Duck rendition of “Take Me Out to the Ball Game.”  Guess control and restraint really are her specialties…    

Grade: A



No comments:

Post a Comment