Sunday, July 24, 2016

179 / 180 -- Ed Sheeran / Christina Perri -- Wednesday, September 23, 2015 -- Verizon Center -- DC

iPhone Recap…

Christina Perri

--- “A Thousand Miles” features strong vocals, but most of the crowd is disinterested -- well, except for the banshees.  The last time I heard glass shatter like that was Kingda Ka at Six Flags Great Adventure.  These girls behind us SHRIEK.  It's more painful than a 2013-2016 Frost Middle School fire alarm.  My new wooo motion involves clapping my hands over my ears.

--- “Human” is a great song, but her lack of stage presence drags it down.

--- Amy was right: would not have missed much if I missed the opener.

Grade: C




Ed Sheeran

--- “I'm A Mess.”  The iTunes background is awesome.  It's a cross between a kaleidoscope and an electrocution -- and it works.

--- “Lego House.”  Lol at Hark Pokemonning at all the Ron Weasley animations.  "I see Ron!  I see Ron!"

--- “My experience at some concerts is that people feel self conscious.  I don't want that.  I want to encourage you to dance like weirdos.  My attitude is: if you're not hurting anyone, do what the hell you want.”  Amen to that!

--- “Drunk.”  Less cooey than the album version, but still good.

--- Love the dark, schizo flow of “Take It Back Now”!  Hard to understand some of the lyrics in the rap section, but the rap-guitar interplay and the boldness of it all make it work.  Omg, the transition to “Superstition” is insane!!!!  Nine songs in one – the best combo song I've heard in months.

--- Smart transition to the smooth “One.”

--- Cool glowing E and D in the distant crowd.

--- Awwww at Hark singing along with “Photograph” and me handticipating the ripped jeans line.  The picture drawings scrawling onscreen were a bit scary, but it wasn't a huge deal.  Love how my fifth period flipped out earlier in the day at the prospect of hearing a few lines of “Photograph” in class.

--- “Bloodstream” is a welcome return to darkness.  It's awesome having surround sound: Hark occasionally singing on my right and a guy with another strong voice singing frequently on my left!  The hyper ending is less earned than "Superstition," but it is engaging.

--- "Tenerife Sea" is smooooth.

--- He's so likable that he can get away with being a slurry Brit.  The wit would land more, though, if he'd enunciate.

--- “No Diggity / Thrift Shop” has got stuyyyle.  Really satisfying.

--- I'm a tough critic for “Feelin Good,” having heard Adam Lambert and Carly Sonnenberg blow it away on Idol and X Factor.  Solid, not spectac…......I take it all back the transition to “I See Fire” is genius!!!  It's like they're the same song.  Got me pumped for Benedict Cumberbatch – i.e. Smaug in the movie the song was featured in.

--- “Me and Christina are similar in that we both write really depressing songs.  I kind of like them.  Hearing sad songs makes me happy.  We have a man with a small puppy backstage that if you don't join in, *croak sound.*” HA!  Follows it up with the mediocre “Be My Forever.”  They should go back to sad songs.

--- Glad to hear a Stevie Wonder cover, “I Was Made to Love Her,” a week before I’ll see Stevie live.

--- Random warehouse in England had Stevie Wonder, Dave Chapelle, and the best harmonica player in the world.  The harmonica player is from DC -- now he's on stage!  Another great transition to “Who You Are” / “Everything You Are.”

--- “The A Team.”  Hark likes the angel part.  The Verizon Center is now a cell light panorama.

--- Aww, the guy on the left appreciates my singing complement.  His girlfriend also loathes the banshees.

--- “You Need Me; I Don't Need You”!!!!  That “Know Yourself” / “In Da Club” Drake cover was pure power.

--- “Sing.”  I was so disoriented from the previous song that I barely remember “Sing.”  Disorientation: a sign of a (total surprise) A+ show.

Grade: A+




1 comment:

  1. Haha! I like how you described me as Pokemoning!And yes, I do like singing to Photograph. Ed Sheeran is definitely one of my absolute favorite concerts we've been to together!

    ReplyDelete