Monday, July 8, 2019

234 -- Ben Platt -- Saturday, May 11, 2019 -- DAR Constitution Hall -- DC

Ben Platt is a male Kelly Clarkson.  I know a bunch of performers who have voices as strong as theirs.  I know very few who can sell the songs like they can.  They talk and talk and talk, but it’s worth it.  Their wit is infectious; it makes you want to be with them and hang on every word of each song.  That won’t come through in the notes below, but it is true…

Bad Habit” suffers a bit from high expectations, as I was into the album the first time through.

Temporary Love” has more finesse.

Ben comes from a comically progressive family.  I wish I could type as fast as he talks…

Honest Man” initially seems great, until...

“Hurt Me Once”!!!!  Beauty. 

Heh, “hi”: the only thing he can say to regain his breath.

“New.”  Ooh,ooh,ooh,ooh indeed!!!!  Elvis was banned for less.

Can’t keep up with the motormouth Kelly-Clarkson-style hilarity.  Such charisma.

Brandi Carlisle “Joke” cover didn’t really connect with me.

Meh at writing your name in some other Ben’s Harry Potter book and claiming it as his own. 

“Better!!!  His range is ridiculous.

“Share Your Address”: wish the lyrics didn’t make me uncomfortable, as the rhythm is the catchiest of the whole album!!!! Live, the stalker issue is brilliantly counteracted by having the backup singers and guitarists join in and SLAY the end.  Clearly the audience favorite.

360 degree flip to “Ease My Mind.”  His favorite on the album. Live it feels surprisingly slight, but it’s still good obviously.  Written with someone everyone apparently knows, Ben Abraham.

Stevie Wonder song.  Meh.

Awww at him paying attention to everyone:  “I feel like I’ve been neglecting these parallel folks.”

“Take Me to the Pilot” sounds like "Take Me to the Party"!  “Of the soul”: right on, brother.  The roundup UFO light made it even better.   Dancing for days!!!  So fun.  Apparently that was Elton John.

“Grow As We Go.”  Gorrrrrrrrrgeousss.

“In Case You Don’t Live Forever”!!!!  I wanted to keep listening to it on a ceaseless loop.  The grandma connection took it up two notches.

Grade: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment