Saturday, August 29, 2009

34 -- The Killers – Wednesday, January 28, 2009 – The Patriot Center – Fairfax, VA

If I were being entirely objective about it, the Killers would get an “A.” The vocals were solid, the production values were excellent, and the capacity crowd loved every minute.

From my biased perspective, though, I have to go with “A-.” I could hide behind the fact that the palm tree backdrop was awkward or that frontman Brandon Flowers did not seem to have much of a personality. I’ll give the real reason, but admit it’s a bit embarrassing: the show was too mainstream. The audio felt slick, the visuals felt packaged, and the crowd seemed like they had come in the hopes the band could make “Mr. Brightside” sound as good as it did on the season finale of Laguna Beach. I’m aware this whole analysis reeks of indie snobbery, but after two mind-blowing shows the month before, this couldn’t measure up.

That being said, I am still a big Killers fan and thoroughly enjoyed the show. It was great to finally hear “Human,” “All These Things I’ve Done,” and “Somebody Told Me” live – and to spend the whole concert in the company of one Bradford Taylor Howard.











Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment