Saturday, August 29, 2009

35 -- Kings of Leon -- Thursday, January 29, 2009 – Madison Square Garden -- NYC

I don’t really know what to make of Kings of Leon – or their NYC concert. I like that they’re edgy (more than I can say for The Killers) and accessible (more than I can say for TV on the Radio). I also like there is no awkward, undeveloped quality in their early albums – Youth and Young Manhood / Aha Shaka Heartbreak have just as many engaging songs as Because of the Times / Only by the Night.

The problem is ‘like’ is the word I continually find myself using when describing them. They’re likable, approachable…yet rarely embraceable. My favorite use for them is background music: they’re on whenever I’m reading, typing, or doing laundry. Amusing as the laundry image may be (what young band does not aspire to be the audio someone half hears over an industrial strength drier?!), it is probably a bit unfair. I have gone out of my way to listen to some of their songs (“Crawl,” “The Bucket,” “Use Somebody”) and there were two moments that genuinely moved me during their NYC show.

The first was listening to “Sex on Fire.” It had not been my favorite song beforehand, but seeing the reaction, seeing all of Madison Square Garden literally and figuratively glow at the “fiiiiiiire” part, was impressive. Now I pump up the volume every time I hear it on DC 101.



The second moment truly was exceptional. It was the first time I can think of that a performer actually said something about a specific audience in a specific city…and meant it. Frontman Caleb Followill explained that, for them, “This is it, man. Coming up all our lives, playing bars and small halls, and now, Madison Square Garden. This is it, man.” Sincerity – gets me every time.







Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment