Thursday, December 29, 2011

99 -- Foo Fighters -- Friday, November 11, 2011 -- Verizon Center -- DC

Normally, when writing reviews, I’ll sift through my iPhone concert notes, and condense the notes into a review. I can’t bear to type any more, though, and it is December 25. As a gift to myself, I am simply going to cut and paste my iPhone notes. Hardcore Foo Fighters’ fans would probably also appreciate the extra info. Merry Christmas!

Blackness descends. Moody feedback. Spot on "Bridge Burning" intro -- plink plink plink.

Oh the hair flop. He's having so much fun.

“Rope.” Nice rhythm shift 2/3rds through.

Lol, I like how he's hamming it up at the beginning of “Pretender” -- like he's good naturedly mocking its popularity. First F of the night. Won't be the last... “Pretender” is clearly the best so far.

“My Hero” is actually better. It's soaring, not just aggressive. Everyone joins in the anthem.

I've grown so used to small venue indie shows that this feels euphoric. It's arena done right.

Hmm, could live without the straight up "hey" screeches.

"It feels good to be home, guys. First time I sold out the arena in my hometown. How about we just play every song then?" Probably untrue, still good to hear.

F count just hit double digits and we're not half an hour in -- HA.

“Learn to Fly” was decent. Yay "my sweet Virginia" reference in “Arlandria.”

"This goes out to all the mid 40s Honda Odyssey fans out there." Hey, I'm a mid 20s Honda Fit fan, and I appreciate “Breakout”! The line at the beginning made the song that much better. Performers really should talk with the audience. Grohl doesn't even have a good live voice, but he makes up for it with such charisma!

"How many of you have never seen us play before? (Wow, the vast majority of the audience?!). Glad you waited 16 f'ing years to see us."

"Stop giving me all this attention. I can't take it. It sucks to be famous."

"You know how cool Taylor is? He's from VIRGINIA." HA.

Hmm, now I know why he's the drummer and not the lead...singer.

“Stacked Actors” is jagged cool. HUGE guitar solo. The back stage is fifteen feet tall. Heh -- "stacked to the rafters" -- get it?

“Walk.” The best song off their new album? It was the best live.

"You guys done yet? We're not even close." Sweet.

“Monkey Wrench”!!! Whoa, reinvention. A bit indulgent, but I dig the attempt.

“Let It Die.” Such an underrated song. Better than “Pretender,” for me.

“These Days” -- nice Veterans Day tribute.

“This Is A Call” -- really early song.

“In the Flesh,” Pink Floyd?

"Done, done, I'm on to the next one, done, done..." So good.

Ha, the grainy backstage video. Oh, silent comedy. :). Lol, five songs -- the crowd goes wild! They're so easy to please. Six! SEVEN!

Springfield Mall reference! "I found all my old report cards. I was a bad student." And you went to TJ, Dave – a school most brilliant kids at Frost couldn’t get into? Not believable.

Ha, "when the wheels come down" is only popular in Germany.

Omg, they're going to come back and play at the 9:30 Club!!! For four hours!

"Only recently did I realize that I can make 19,000 people do the wave...with my face."

Acoustic “Best of You” brought such crowd unity.

Wow, One by One was made in a basement in Old Town Alexandria?! “Times Like These” fits perfectly. And a transition back to rock!!!

“Dear Rosemary” -- Giver reference? ;)

Wow, a remarkable story about when Grohl was in 7th grade. The most beautiful girl in the world, Sandy, told him she didn't want to get tied down. And Sandy is in the audience tonight!

Evvvvverlong.


9:30 Club, here I come...


Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment