Tuesday, August 21, 2012

112 / 113 – Band of Horses / My Morning Jacket – Saturday, August 18, 2012 – Merriweather Post Pavilion – Columbia, MD

The school year’s about to begin, and I’ve got a limited time to relax here in North Carolina’s Outer Banks, so this has to be a ‘live’ entry.  Here are the notes from the iPhone…

BAND OF HORSES:

--- “Funeral” rocks.  Usually, when I listen to albums in preparation for shows, the songs that stick out are the ones I’ve heard before – i.e. the hits.  In this case, I had never heard a single Band of Horses song before I started the albums, so there’s no way I could known which were popular.  And yet, when I listened to “Funeral,” their biggest hit, it stood out by a mile.  Even though I was half listening to it in between reps at the gym, it made an impression.  Like Arcade Fire's Funeral album, the song was more uplifting than depressing – it built, drove, and left you in awe.  If you’re reading this review and have not heard a Band of Horses song, this is where I’d start.

--- “Great Salt Lake” has more drive than it does on the album.  “Is There A Ghost” also sounds better live – especially the ‘I could sleep; I could sleeeep’ part.  For an opening band, they are making this look easy.

--- “Long Vows” is mediocre and “No One’s Gonna Love You [More Than I Do]” is kind of drippy.  “For Annabelle” is redeemed by the fact that Ben Bidwell performs the whole song with his infant daughter in his arms.  (Don’t worry; she has ear plugs.)    

--- “The General Specific” is catchy; “Cigarettes, Wedding Bands” is intense.  Both are really good.  “Cigarettes, Wedding Bands” somehow reminds me of Get Up Kids' “Walking on a Wire.”

--- They finish with a bluesy cover of Them Two’s “Am I A Good Man?”  Awww, a dad and his elementary school son are playing air drums on their knees in the audience!  Great ending.

Grade: B +



MY MORNING JACKET:

--- Heh, psychedelic intro.  Much stronger, clearer vocal than Band of Horses.

--- “Outta My System” -- I actually know this one!  Catchy chorus, although the guitar is a bit too twinkly. Mini rock out at the end rescues it.

--- Lol at the yellow and blue cape outfit during “Aluminum Park.”  Intermittent Bingo Night sound of the keyboard is distracting.  Intermittent flying glow sticks are cool.

--- “Mageetah” is decent until the return of the polka party.  Hmm, police sirens transition into mood music, and then back to polka at the end.  Man, these guys are so hard to categorize – as is the audience.  The only thing uniting them is that they're...white.

--- “Phone Went West” is awkward calypso; “Wonderful” is mediocre except for the Radiohead ooohs at the end.

--- Lead singer Jim James finally talks.  He says “I've got that old time feeling” in a shaky preacher voice -- even though he looks like a younger member of The Grateful Dead.

--- "War Begun” / “I Will Sing Songs” is my favorite so far.  It's so chill.  The chillness allows all of the experimental elements to connect -- there are no off-putting distractions.  Whoa, even an unexpected vocal return at the end.  

--- Coming right after “War Begun,” “I’m Amazed” seems aptly named.  HA, even the plinking keyboard is starting to work.  I'm getting swept up.

--- “I Think I’m Going to Hell” has pacing, “Cobra” has spotlights, and “Holdin' Onto Black Metal” has swagger.  No wonder the crowd is so into everything.  I’ve gotta prepare more next time…

Grade: B+


No comments:

Post a Comment