Thursday, August 14, 2014

154 -- Queen ft. Adam Lambert -- Thursday, July 17, 2014 -- Madison Square Garden -- NYC

As soon as I arrived in my upper deck seat, the girl next to me apologized.  She was concerned I would be offended by her loud whoo’ing.  I laughed and explained that there was nothing to apologize about.  It meant some rare life in the cheap seats!  It was also a great sign for the rest of the night…

--- Adam Lambert began “Now I'm Here” by half-exposing his sunglasses -- oh, that saucy frontman...  Yay that’s he’s already invoking “New…York…City.”

--- LOVE the high-definition big-screens they put up so the limited-view nosebleed section can see.  Other than the crowd, which is actually a bit limp, these seats are probably better than the mezzanine!

--- “Stone Cold Crazy.”  Don't know the song but the rat-a-tat translates.

--- Ba-da-duh-duh-duh, “Another One Bites the Dust.” 

--- “Fat Bottomed Girls”!  Great late-song guitar solo: by far the best so far.



 
--- Elton John intro for “In The Lap of the Gods (Revisited).”  Lol at Adam Lambert's glittery shawl half-opening to reveal a black tank top.  A lot of smoke and flashing lights for an early song.

--- Lol at him cat sprawling all over the purple-couch tacouch.  (*tacky couch*)  Apparently “Killer Queen” is not “Bohemian Rhapsody.”  The intro had me fooled. 

--- HA: “When I get lonely, I drink alone and douse myself in rhinestone -- like any sensible gay would do.”  This quip makes up for spitting wine into the crowd and saying the people should be thankful for it…

--- “Somebody to Love!”  Spinning body, singalongs, vocal acroBATics.

--- “I Want It All.”  Solid guitar solo.

--- “Love of My Life”!!!!!  Adam Lambert leaves, Brian May approaches center stage, and you have eight minutes of vulnerable, band-crowd magic.  May gasps, “Oh my god.  Bucket list. Lord knows I'm not a singer.  Who could imagine we'd be welcomed back as rock gods all these years later?  Freddie would sit in the seat next to me -- maybe you could be him.”  The crowd then did their best to sing the words they knew…before being joined by a recording of Freddie at the climax.  The best concert moment of Summer 2014.



 
--- “39” and some other lackluster song.  The Copacabana drum solo was enhanced by the connection between Roger Taylor and his son.

--- Perfect transition to “Under Pressure.”  A bit jarring when Lambert The Impostor returns, but they work it out quickly.  The song ends up strong.

--- Brian May: “Ladies and gentleman: I just have one question.  What do you think of the new guy?”  Heh.

--- Adam Lambert: “By the way, I have to stop and give props, beyond props, to the one and only Freddie Mercury.”  Smart / necessary. 

--- “Love Kills,” some obscure/meh song from the film Metropolis.  Yeah, it kills the momentum...

--- “Who Wants to Live Forever” is MADE for Adam Lambert.

--- I first wrote: “Intriguing bass chords of death from Brian May.  Some might hate it, but I appreciate the experimentation.”  Seven minutes after that, I took back everything I said, “This is a rock concert, not Fantasia.  Give it a rest already.  In.  Dull.  Gent.


--- “Give Me That Love”!  Exhausting and AL still kind of seems like a jerk, but I appreciate the amount of time he spent getting the crowd to learn rhythms.

--- “Radio Gaga.” The clapping part is good.

--- AL fake sneers “that's it?” to the audience's reaction.  Um, the joke doesn't work if it's too close your usual pose...

--- “Crazy Little Thing Called Love”!  Nice little moment with Brian May plinking the piano.

--- Oooh, vibe switch.  Jordin Sparks or Melinda Doolittle should doing this song.  “The Show Must Go On.” I'm a FAN.


--- “Bohemian Rhapsody”!!!  Great how AL plays it straight (heh).  It's a song best not messed with.  HA at Brian May’s golden cape suit. 

--- After the encore, the crowd finally gets up -- and remains up the rest of the time!

--- “We Will Rock You.”  Lol at AL's sparkly gold suit and crown.

--- “We Are The Champions”!  They…kept on fighting…till the gold confetti cannons went off.  Then, it was the end. 

Grade: B+ / A-


No comments:

Post a Comment