Monday, August 18, 2014

159 -- O.A.R. -- Saturday, July 19, 2014 -- Merriweather Post Pavilion -- Columbia, MD

--- "Love and Memories"!!!  The best opener of any of the six July concerts.  Cathy chorus, comprehensible lyrics, and total band-crowd connection.  I'm jumping every other line.

--- “We're OAR, from Rockville MD.”  Heh, the crowd explodes.  “I have just been informed this is the 10th time we've played Merriweather.  I think this time is special.”  Explodes again. No wonder this is much better than when they played at 9:30 Club: homecourt advantage.

--- “About Mr. Brown” gets a Merriweather reference!  As does this appropriate lyric: “what'd you say about this [beautiful] weather?”  The ending also shows their music remains relevant: “stand up, hold your ground.”  This song features a trumpet, trombone, AND sax: Phillip Phillips can't compete.

--- Oooh, dark blue vibe.  “Right On Time.”  Marc Roberge's voice is so clear.

--- The only small thing holding the concert back is me not really knowing certain songs, like this new one, “Hands up.”

--- Definitely like “52-50,” with its fierce, sax-driven “rain on / hey” part.  “I know I'll be home, one day, TO STAY.”  This is not just a jam; it’s a story!!!

--- “Favorite So-ng-ng-ng.”  Not a true title, it’s too poppy, but it’s still enjoyable.

--- My criticism of their 9:30 Club concert was it was low energy.  Based on tonight, I can’t believe that was true!

--- “Shattered.”  The vocal clarity is so appreciated.  Lyrics are more meaningful when you understand them!  Roberge, after the audience sang an entire verse: “It's like a dream come true.”  Aww!!


--- “Hey Girl.”  Nooo, iPhone stop running out of battery!  This one's enjoyable too -- saxxxx!   Trrrrrumpet -- the guy spontaneously high fives the whole front row!  “I told him my bandmate, ‘When you get to MD, you're gonna be knocked out’…..I've been in that field section many times.  Crazy things happened in that field, man.”

--- Roberge’s favorite song off the new album: “We'll Pick Up Where You Left Off.”  Not mine.

--- “The Architect”: meh. “Heard The World”: woo.

--- “Heaven.”  The brass players sing!  “I don't want heaven if they don't want me” is a memorable line.

--- “I Will Find You” has POWER.  Aww at the River Road reference and the switch to “I *Found* You” at the end.

--- “Peace” after the encore.  Gah, "Crazy Game of Poker" would make a great transition after this.  They better do it.  Please do it.

--- They did it!!  Flying playing cards!!!

--- Lol, Phillip Phillips is back – for George Harrison's “When My Guitar Gently Weeps.”  Great contrast to end the show.

Grade: A


No comments:

Post a Comment