Monday, September 25, 2017

217 -- Ed Sheeran -- Tuesday, September 19, 2017 -- Verizon Center -- DC

This Ed Sheeran concert was not the triumph the first one had been.  I’d always prefer to get problems out of the way at the beginning, so it was disappointing that the low points of the show came at the end.  That said, there were several outstanding moments, and I got to share them with Hark, so I’m glad I went.

--- “Eraser” and “The A Team” are a decent start.

--- Before the next song, his ode is way better than decent: “You're facing front -- no one can see you.”  We should swing with each other, dance, show flair, no reason to be self-conscious / care.  Great point!!!

--- “Don't.”  I think I will. Close enough to rap that I'm lovin’ in.  After a beast of a day, rejuvenation!!!

--- “Dive.”  Does the standard You're The Best Crowd lie, but does it with such specificity, I'm convinced!  He goes through the best crowds on the tour: Dublin, then Buenos Aires, then Louisville, then Chicago.  Doesn't say D.C. is the best after, so I believe him.  Well done!!!

--- “Bloodstream.”  The fiery swirl is so cool.  The visual/sonic build and then pull back at the end was incredible.

--- “Happier.”  The “no one hurts you like I hurt you” doesn’t apply, but the rest fits our relationship.  I am happier with Hark.

--- “Tenerife Sea.”  Soft and meandering, so I see why he rarely plays it, but it works for me.  Low key contrast ftw.

--- I called “Galway Girl” from the opening note!  Fun Irish energy.

--- And now, a song Google doesn't even know.  The low point of the night by far.

--- “Photograph”!!!!  Reinvention.  Hark's voice and arm the whole way.  He sings, it builds, it sways.  Whoa.

--- “Perfect” is his favorite song apparently.  “I hope I don't say that in the future.”  Heh.  Rhythmically and after all that buildup, meh.

--- “Nancy Mulligan”!!  Much better than “Galway Girl.”

--- “Thinking Out Loud.”  I think people know this one.  

--- Lackluster “Sing.” 

--- Haaaaaa at him coming out in a Wizards jersey!!

--- Lackluster “Shape of You.”

--- “You Need Me, Man, I Don't Need You.” Too-high expectations, jumbled vocals, and cheesy on-screen lyrics made it a big disappointment.  Guitar explosion halfway through was new and cool though.

Grade: B+ 

No comments:

Post a Comment