Thursday, June 16, 2022

248 -- Guster -- Sunday, July 25, 2021 -- Red Rocks Park and Amphitheater -- Morrison, CO

 --- I’m about to see Guster at Red Rocks with James Porter. That’s three bullseyes, for my first concert in 543 days. Rock on.

--- The opening band, The Lone Bellow, sounds great. Make sure to check them out at the 9:30 Club on November 20. [Edit, a year later --> and . . . there was another shutdown. Oh, Covid.] 

--- “Do You Love Me”!!!!  Unexpected rushhh at hearing the first live song in forever. Heh at “wake you from you dream.” Guy in the crowd: “WE DID IT!” I played this song for Brody three days ago! I’m also surprised how nostalgic the act of typing notes in my phone feels. Frontman Ryan Miller: “I think this may be the first time in my life I’m at a loss for words.”

--- “Demons” is a great change a pace.

--- Hahaha, “we added wind noises in for dramatic effect. Red Rocks 2021.”

--- “Diane” is fine, but I hope this doesn’t preclude playing the far-superior “Amsterdam” from the same album.

--- “The Captain”!!!!  Rhythmmm, winddddd!  The screen is about to fling into the crowd.

--- Wow at the giant Colorado Symphony Orchestra. Heh, they ask “Yuni the badass head woman” if she can “play that a note over the hurricane thing maybe?”  Omg, the conductor’s name is Christopher Dragon. He’s “the coolest cucumber in Colorado.”

--- “Ramona” took the place of another worthier song.

--- “Long Night” is from the 2015 Evermotion album that I somehow missed! 

--- Aww, cool ukulele vibe shift with “What You Call Love.”  Adam trumpet time! Ooh, I get to rescue someone else’s phone!

--- “Two Points for Honesty”!! It starts out amazing --> I played it for Brody this week, it’s from James’ college CD, and it surges so much as a song. Then my spirit is crushed. The angle of the seats prevents me from dancing because it limits the view of the guy next to me. The guy is nice about it, but in the moment, it’s brutal. Not being able to move beyond a straitjacket sway at a rock show?! Tearrrr.

--- “Mind Kontrol” features the lines “come get me out of this hole.” I can relate…..

--- “Dear Valentine” is fine.

--- They talk about the last time they played the Fox Theater in Colorado. Aww, specificity.

--- Hahahaha at when Dragon’s excited. His bald head gets radiant, and it’s like the bouncing ball Ryan Miller saw as a kid.

--- “Lightning Rod”! The awesome moodiness of the song brings me back a bit.  Woo.

--- Hahaha, “it’s so fun to play it Red Rocks. When I said ‘ohohoh’ a minute ago, that was like a 12-year-old cream dream. Sorry, children. My children.”

--- Heh at acknowledging no one wants new songs. “Witness Tree” has this interesting…Russian…vibe?

--- First ever Climate Positive concert at Red Rocks.

--- “There’s No Way to Get to Heaven” was played.

--- “Fa Fa Fa”: aww/hahah at the drum solo is accent at the end. Go, conductor!!

--- “Hello Mister Sun”: heh at the rainbow hats, meh at the song. Going for a Sgt. Pepper’s thing. 

--- Awww, he comes out in the crowd for “Doin’ It By Myself” — he swings the mic as the crowd mass waves!

--- “Either Way”: amazing breeze, tender wonder. The orchestra makes is so much better. Newfound appreciation. I’m officially back!!!!

--- “Satellite”: orchestra FTW!!

--- “Come Downstairs and Say Hello”!!!!! The conductor was a MANIAC. Gotta look it up on YouTube.

--- “Julio Down By The School Yard”!!!! So raw.

--- “We’re able to grow old with you together. Well, maybe not old, but older than we were when we were sang it for the first time in a dorm room 29 years ago.” [!!!]

--- “Hard Times”!! So piercing and well sung. The opioid subject matter fits the melancholic tone.

--- “Hang On”: good message to end on.

--- HA, they’re wearing big heads. “Maybe you shouldn’t follow up on ideas when you’re high.”

--- “Barrel of a Gun”!!

--- Secretly coming out to the center of the center of the crowd for a second encore with “Jesus on the Radio” was awesome. Never seen that before!!

Grade: A- / A
















No comments:

Post a Comment