Tuesday, August 25, 2015

161 -- Jimmy Eat World -- Wednesday, October 15, 2014 -- 9:30 Club -- DC

This Jimmy Eat World show had the distinction of being the only concert I have ever been to that started at 11:30pm – on a school night?!  When I found this out that afternoon, I was less than thrilled.  I tried taking a (rare) nap when I got home from work, but this left me more groggy and irritated as I drove to the show.  Not only did I feel completely out of sorts, I worried I would never be able to fall back to sleep when I got home, hours before my 5am wakeup call.

The minute I entered the 9:30 Club, though, that all changed.  Seeing the entire club packed, how passionate the fans and band were at that absurd hour, was thrilling.  It lent the show this underground vibe, this aura of exclusivity.  The fact that the first song I fully heard, “Work,” featured the ironic lyrics “get out of this place while we still have time,” made it even better.  That is, fair weather fans would be concerned with leaving at a reasonable hour on a work night; the people here were in for the long haul.

Other moments below:

--- After hearing “Futures,” “Just Tonight,” and “Kill,” I realized this was a straight album show, in honor of Futures 10th anniversary, just as they had done with Clarity.  Wish more bands did albums shows; love those.

--- Frontman Jim Adkins to the crowd: “This is our 20th year coming to DC.  It’s intimidating, but it’s one of our favorite places to be.  Love your passion.”
      
--- “The World You Love.”  Somehow I had never heard the song.  Hidden win.

--- “Pain”!!!  Christian Keppler flashback. 

--- “Drugs or Me.”  Nice change of pace.  Similar to "Goodbye Sky Harbor" without the infuriating 11-minute cowbell. 

--- People who casually talk about things other than music to pass the time during slow songs should be shot.  Repeatedly.

--- I called “Polaris” before it got to lyrics!  Really smoky, satisfying ending.

--- “Nothing Wrong”: hard rock!  Omg, the lights, the smoke….a drug-free *trip.*

--- “Night Drive.”  Yes, lady, I like this song too.  It’s got layers.

--- “23.”  Love the extended Explosions In The Sky intro.

--- “Over”: meh.  “Closer”: meh.  “Claire”: would be meh, but the fact that they last played the song at The Black Cat a million years ago makes it endearing.

--- “Blister”: resurgence!  If you ask me, after that song, the East Coast has been traumatized. ;)

--- “Disintegration.”  Unexpectedly strong -- such jagged BUILD.

--- “I Will Steal You Back”: okay.  More than okay: “My Best Theory”!!

--- “Bleed American.”  The jumping overwhelms me.  I can feel it in my calvvvvves!

--- Whoa, no “Middle” at the end – in fact no “Middle” at all.  I like the song, don’t get me wrong, but it feels right.  This is a 1am show; no need for casual fan pandering. 

--- The knee bend during “Sweetness”?  Always works.


Grade: A

 

No comments:

Post a Comment