Monday, July 20, 2009

16 -- Alkaline Trio – Thursday, June 19, 2008 – The National – Richmond, VA

I can now definitively say that Alkaline Trio is my FAVORITE band. I do not claim they are virtuosos, I do not even strongly recommend you listen to them, but I do know they move me most. I first started to recognize this three years ago in Mexico. I did not include my reflections on them in the original ColinitoEnOaxaca blog because they did not seem to fit its travelogue theme, but they certainly seem relevant now. Here is what I wrote:

Since I recently started listening to music, I’ve developed favorite bands. Weezer, White Stripes, Red Hot Chili Peppers – I could go on. This is an accomplishment unto itself. I don’t think, though, I have ever connected as consistently and completely as I have with Alkaline Trio. Every time I begin to doubt them – they’re too morbid; they’re too one note – they come up with another solid song. Other than “Radio,” I probably couldn’t distinguish between many of them, but that indistinguishability, for my purposes, is a strength. I’m not looking for a unique, unapproachable Elliot Smith track every time I listen. I’m looking for a varied, driving rhythm; an authentic, acidic voice; and above all, an evocation of dark emotions: anger, fear, bitterness, dejection, etc. And virtually every time, Alkaline delivers.

Grade: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment