Saturday, January 23, 2010

53 -- Bruce Springsteen – Monday, November 2, 2009 – Verizon Center – DC

Terrorists should be forced to see a Bruce Springsteen show. Little by little over the three hours, their hatred would just melt away…

I’ve covered all the major songs in the other six Springsteen concert reviews, so I’ll just mention the few new things:

1. They played every song on Born to Run! Early in the show, I heard some woman, who I thought was an idiot, shouting, “Play ‘Born to Run’! Play ‘Born to Run’!” I thought she was dumb because he would clearly save that song until the end. What I eventually realized was that she was referring to the album Born to Run. Apparently the focus of this tour was to include an entire album in every show. Straight album shows are cool enough with Jimmy Eat World and Guster; if Springsteen’s doing it, that’s a whole different level!

2. I was able to walk up to the box office at 7:57pm the day of the show and get a 100-Level, Row-A ticket for face value! All tickets had been sold out months in advance, yet somehow I was able to get one.

3. The crowd requests were all solid: “Stand on It,” “Seven Nights to Rock,” “Pink Cadillac” and “Growin' Up.”

4. The whisper moans during “Backstreets” was nearly as powerful as “Jungleland.”

5. The last song of the night was a stunning new one. Most of the show emphasized Bruce (as it should have). This rousing new gospel tune, “Higher and Higher,” showcased two backup singers, Soozie Tyrell and Curtis King.

6. The last thing I’ll mention actually happened towards the beginning of the show. Midway through “Hungry Heart,” Bruce crowd surfed from the island all the way back to the stage! At 60 years old!











Grade: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment