Saturday, January 23, 2010

54 -- The Get Up Kids – Tuesday, November 3, 2009 – 9:30 Club – DC

I had not even heard of The Get Up Kids a month before the concert, so I wasn’t expecting much. Fortunately, for a number of reasons, I was pleasantly surprised.

1. There was an impressive mix of genres: driving rock (“Grunge Pig”), atmospheric mix (“Walking on a Wire”), punk anthem (“Red Letter Day”), nostalgic ballad (“Campfire Kansas”), romantic ballad (“I’ll Catch You”), etc.

2. I’d forgotten how great the 9:30 Club is. The proximity to the stage, the floodlights, and the packed crowds all enhance the music.

3. They played more than an hour and a half yet finished the concert before 11. They also acknowledged the audience’s dedication to come out on a Tuesday night.

4. The lead singer did not have a great voice. That might sound like a bad thing, but in this case, the rough edges were endearing. He made up for his deficiency with energy.

Considering all this, I’ll definitely see them again next time they come to DC. Thanks for the recommendation, Sketch.













Grade: B++

No comments:

Post a Comment