Monday, February 18, 2013

118 -- ZZ Top -- Saturday, October 6, 2012 -- Merriweather Post Pavilion -- Columbia, MD

--- Three immediate chuckles: 1)  ZZ’s huge sunglasses / beard 2)  The age difference between the ZZ and Skrillex audiences.  3)  “Some of ya are saying, ‘How is that guy playing that guitar with one hand?’” [He flips the guitar over to reveal a big beer sign.]

--- Two early non sequiturs: 1)  The dog that runs on stage during “Tush”  2)  The terrifying picture of a bug superimposed over a background of rice and KFC.  How that connects with “Tube Snake Boogie” I’ll never know.

--- One-liners throughout: “My head's in Texas; my heart's in Mississippi…I've been trying to figure out how to rhyme something with Maryland.  Oh well, I’ll insert Maryland in the next chorus anyway…This song is from way back – way, way back…This song is so new I have to have someone bring me out the words."

The songs did become repetitive after a while, but I enjoyed them most of the time.  After forty minutes of Skrillex, old school guitar rock worked!

Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment