Monday, February 18, 2013

119 -- Jack White -- Saturday, October 6, 2012 -- Merriweather Post Pavilion -- Columbia, MD

The White Stripes concert I went to at Madison Square Garden five years ago was a huge disappointment.  It was upsetting to hear all these albums I loved thrashed and beaten live.  And this time too, I did have notes that said “too hopeful for Stieg Larsson,” “too hopeful for Marilyn Manson,” and “why must the guitar dry heave?”

That said, knowing what to expect ahead of time allowed me to also appreciate the good things.  I enjoyed, for example, when White cleverly co-opted ZZ Top, insisting “Jesus just left Chicago, bound for Washington DC.”   The guest singer during “Top Yourself” also really added to the song, “Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground” was an exciting throwback, and the electric bluegrass “Yorba” was outstanding. 

Hopefully next time, White will ease up on the amp, and it will be an even better show.

Grade: C+

No comments:

Post a Comment