Monday, February 18, 2013

121 -- Passion Pit -- Tuesday, October 16, 2012 -- 9:30 Club -- DC

Passion Pit was a lot of fun.  Considering I found out about the band from former students who also fit that description, I should not have been been surprised.  The high points of the night were “Take A Walk,” “Carried Away,” “Eyes as Candles,” and “Let Our Love Grow Tall.”  Oh, and I should not leave out “Little Secrets,” which literally says the word “higher” 45 times over the course of the song.  In between those sugar rushes you had polite indie pop crowd surfs, confetti falling from the ceiling, and a song with “sleepy” in the title which was anything but. 

Being fair, I’ll admit there were some lackluster tracks (“I’ve Got Your Number,” “The Reeling”), and Michael Angelakos’ often incomprehensible falsetto made it hard to find deep meaning in the lyrics.  (“Hiding in piles of princely orange peels” – huh?)  Overall, though, to paraphrase the band, I’d say that’s alright; that’s alright, I’m happy. ;)  

Grade: B+

Endnotes: (1) I listened to the third presidential debate on my iPhone going to and from the show.  Only in DC…  (2)  Somehow the band did not play “Make Light,” the addictive first track on their first album.  Something to look forward to next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment