Wednesday, August 26, 2015

167 -- Bruce Springsteen -- part of the Concert for Valor -- Tuesday, November 11, 2014 -- The National Mall -- DC

General Festival Intro: I’m glad I went to the Concert for Valor.  Festivals are never my favorite: too few songs, too few true fans.  It’s hard to complain, though, about a night on the National Mall that lets you pay literal tribute to the troops as you listen to Foo Fighters, Zac Brown Band, Black Keys, Carrie Underwood, Metallica, Bruce Springsteen, Rihanna, and Eminem.  Knowing I could discuss the show the next day with my students, CH and SL, whose families attended the show, made it even better.  The only performer I missed was Jessie J, whose “Titanium” I could half hear as I made the long trek from the metro to Archives to 15th. 

Specific Band Entry: Bruce Springsteen: Before the set, Michelle Obama elicited half cheers and half boos........partisan sigh.  A legless runner named Cedric overcame so much........non-partisan tear. 

Gahhhh, the awful audience has never heard “The Promised Land” and the acoustic version doesn't work anyway.  The ultra-twangy “Born in the USA” is slightly better because of sheer uniqueness, but there's still no connection.  People don't know “Dancing in the Dark”?!  I mean, the character in his voice is strong, but the whole vibe of the set is deflating.

Grade: D+


To read reviews of any of the festival bands (and celebrity intros), click on the these links: Foo Fighters, Zac Brown Band, Black Keys, Carrie Underwood, Metallica, Bruce Springsteen, Rihanna, Eminem.

No comments:

Post a Comment