Wednesday, August 26, 2015

175 -- Kelly Clarkson -- Thursday, July 16, 2015 -- Radio City Music Hall -- NYC

My big reason for seeing Kelly Clarkson was my best friend, James Porter, the biggest KC fan I know.  My big surprise was how much I enjoyed the show as well.  She should have featured her “Sober” masterpiece, and she could have featured fewer produced album tracks, but overall, she was a force to be reckoned with.  She was up there with Dave Grohl and Ben Folds in terms of personality, and vocally, she did not really have an equal.  Her voice was stronger and clearer than any performer I have heard live. 

--- Considering her sense of humor, it was appropriate that the concert began with an absurd, hilarious moment.  “Dance With Me” started to play, and this psychotic usher started yelling at me, James, Katie, and the people around us to sit down.  Did she think we were to see not Kelly, but Tchaikovsky?  Was she aware that the name of the name of the song was "DANCE With Me"?!  It was all okay, though, because it  brought about the most exciting uprising since Rise Against in Richmond.  Little by little, people next to us started to get up.  Then the people in front of us motioned to each other.  By the end of the song, everyone had leapt up and danced! Take that, (wo)Man!  The fact that all this happened during “My Life Would Suck Without You,” my favorite KC pop song, was gravy.


   

--- “Nostalgic” had a cool glowy-window background, but the actual song was meh.

--- Apparently “Mr. Know It All” is about “every boss, boyfriend, or jerk you just wanted to punch in the face.”  HA! 

--- “We're usually in hot outdoor amphitheaters, so it's crazy having A/C.   No, don't turn it off though.  No one wants a sweaty pig church girl.  Don’t want Jesus dripping off, oh no."  Love her unscripted rambling!  She's a musical Jennifer Lawrence!  So endearing.

--- “Second Wind” had a solid sound and a good message.

--- “I was running from an empty threat of emptiness.”  Omg, the vocal on "Invincible"!!  I told James I thought she was lip syncing.  I was lying.  It also has a nice guitar riff at the end.

--- After “Because Of You,” she explained that her mom is an English teacher!  Heh, she thought her mom would critique her for saying "sadder." 

--- “Piece by Piece”!!!!  To use American Idol terminology, a true MOMENT if I've ever seen one.  She took a song I didn't even like on the album and made it MAGIC.  How?  Primarily, with a deep personal connection.  The story of her husband being the father her dad never was would be moving in any context.  The fact that it was delivered with an *exquisite* vocal makes it that much better.  Think I was the first one in all of Radio City Music Hall up for the standing O.


   


--- The flubs during “Break Away” became assets, thanks to her hilarious ad libs: “I'm a professional.”

--- “Tight Rope”!!  After “Piece by Piece,” it’s THE vocal of the night.  She apologizes that she writes “really depressing stuff,” but it sounded uplifting to me!

--- “Take You High” was too techno for my taste to connect emotionally, but it was effective as a change of pace.  Lol at James pulling a me by playing the whole song on his knees.

--- Glad “Behind These Hazel Eyes” gets back to darkness.

--- “I'm having a helluva good time.  I hope you guys are.”  Clearly.

--- She got her start before Idol on open mics.  In keeping with this, she gives a random guy from San Diego named Chuck who's been in NY for three months his first open mic – at Radio City Music Hall!  Kelly comes in as backup on Clean Bandit's "Rather Be."  "Thank you, Radio City Music Hall."

--- I like the idea of taking a fan request.  I wish it was something more melodic than Nick Jonas' “Jealous.”

--- Heh, apparently she's “Side Note Sally.”  Fine by me.

--- “The Trouble With Love Is” from Love Actually is okay.  The next song is a lot “Stronger”!!  Such an anthem.

--- Heh, she joins acapella opener Pentatonix in a heart-shaped “Heartbeat Song.”  Nice.

--- Hahaha, her kid is on stage saying “uptown funk you up.”  To quote (sigh) Randy Jackson, her Bruno Mars cover is “better than the original, dawg, better than the original!”

Grade: A- [Next time, if she favors deeper, darker songs – or at least plays “Sober” – it’ll be right up to an A.]


 

No comments:

Post a Comment