Wednesday, August 26, 2015

168 / 169 -- Rihanna / Eminem -- part of the Concert for Valor -- Tuesday, November 11, 2014 -- The National Mall -- DC

General Festival Intro: I’m glad I went to the Concert for Valor.  Festivals are never my favorite: too few songs, too few true fans.  It’s hard to complain, though, about a night on the National Mall that lets you pay literal tribute to the troops as you listen to Foo Fighters, Zac Brown Band, Black Keys, Carrie Underwood, Metallica, Bruce Springsteen, Rihanna, and Eminem.  Knowing I could discuss the show the next day with my students, CH and SL, whose families attended the show, made it even better.  The only performer I missed was Jessie J, whose “Titanium” I could half hear as I made the long trek from the metro to Archives to 15th. 

Specific Band Entry: Rihanna / Eminem: Before the set, Oprah introduces a moving Medal Of Honor package.  Omg, Bryan Cranston makes me squee.  I didn’t know that both of his parents served – nice.  Talks about contributing to an organization that connects local business with skilled veterans -- amen to that.  “If you don't contribute, you may get a visit from my man Heisenberg.”  HA!

Apparently every person on The Mall came for Rihanna.  And they get what they came for: “Diamonds” sounds fantastic. Wait, is she lip syncing, or are those background vocals when I’m hearing lyrics even though she's not even facing the mic?  Breathy last line is cool.  Wow, “Stay” is smoooooth.  Two navy pilots are locked arm-in-arm. No issues with military readiness right there -- troops seem pretty cohesive to me. ;) 

Lol, “Monster” transition to Eminem: i.e. all the females start shrieking.  Because he’s always earned their support?  If this is not lip syncing, the two of them have absurdly clear voices.  Eminem must think this show is taking place on July 4th, given all the bombs he’s launching into the night sky…  “Guts Over Fear” fits thematically, but sounds weak.  “Not Afraid” is gold – as is the transition to “Lose Yourself.”  Nostalllllgia.

Grade: A-

1st Endnote: Napoleon, Hitler, Pinky, and The Brain each failed to take over the world.  If any of them tweeted about Rihanna, however, they clearly could have done it.  Somehow my post-festival Rihanna tweet got picked up by one of her fan sites, and it exploded.  19 RTs in 19 minutes; it was insane.  [The tweet: “Just saw Rihanna and Bruce Springsteen go head to head -- and Rihanna won. Not really sure how to feel about it.”]  Glad I did not mention Kim Kardashian or Justin Bieber.  Would not want those RTs…


2nd Endnote: To read reviews of any of the festival bands (and celebrity intros), click on the these links: Foo Fighters, Zac Brown Band, Black Keys, Carrie Underwood, Metallica, Bruce Springsteen, Rihanna, Eminem.

No comments:

Post a Comment