Wednesday, April 22, 2020

239 -- Sonic Castaways -- Friday, October 4, 2019 -- Songbyrd Vinyl Lounge -- DC

All the good things about this Sonic Castaways show were made better because I got to experience them with my 71-year-old mom Nadine.  Don’t know another septuagenarian who’d spend a Friday night at a club in Adams Morgan! 

My Sonic Castaways experience started months before my mom entered the picture, after a Rolling Stones concert when I met the band’s frontman, Alejandro Cortes Ardila.  Alejandro had sprinted 20 minutes from FedEx Field to make the last Metro of the night.  The two of us started talking and ended up being the best conversation I’ve ever had on a Metro.  It led to us talking a bunch of times online after that, and me checking out his band at the Songbyrd.

From the opening song, I was impressed by the enunciation and flair.  They sounded like a flamenco Franz Ferdinand.  I also liked the smoky jam session, how one performer came into the audience, and how two performers were back-to-back -- like Bruce Springsteen and Clarence Clemons.  It was cool that the ladrones/sangre song added another style.  It was both contemplative and propulsive -- shades of The Shins’ “Sleeping Lessons,” especially the second half.

The main thing holding the show back was the fact that I had not been able to hear the songs beforehand.  Bits and pieces came through: “musica vino de Africa,” “en la valla vovaha”? With no album, though, I could not come in with emotional connections or understand a lot of the Spanish lyrics. 

Fortunately, Alejandro said an album is definitely in the works, and I look forward to a second concert.  Joining me at the concert will likely be Danny Ibañez, my awesome friend from Oaxaca, Mexico.  She was part of my host family in Oaxaca and is supposed to be in DC taking English classes soon. Fingers crossed…

Grade: B+/A-

No comments:

Post a Comment