Wednesday, April 22, 2020

243 -- Katy Perry -- Friday, October 11, 2019 -- The Anthem -- DC

Katy Perry’s performance was part of the Silence the Violence charity event that also featured Jeremy EliotNorah Jones, and Mavis Staples.    

Wow, apparently her “Roar” video has been viewed three billion times.  A billion presumably came from the little kids behind us, who were screaming nonstop, lol.

“Chained To The Rhythm” was a bit anticlimactic after Mavis, but I appreciated the way she switched to “DC” halfway though.

“Roar” sounded foreign without the studio elements -- not bad though.

WHOA: it first looked like she kept singing when she had the mic down….Was she lip syncing?! [Update: it turned out she had two choir accompanists.  They helped.]

Katy sang surprisingly few songs during her set, but I was moved by the impact meditation has had on her: “Transcendental Meditation has been the number one thing that has changed my life. At first I thought, ‘20 minutes twice a day? Are you serious?’ Turns out, it gave me more time because I was energized more often.”

I was glad I was able to text Hark a video of the last song, “Firework."  “Firework” was his choice for the last song played at our July 4th wedding.

Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment