Wednesday, April 22, 2020

244 -- Wilco -- Tuesday, October 15, 2019 -- The Anthem -- DC

I came into another Wilco concert having had a bad day.  The fact that the people in the front were seated and surprisingly subdued didn’t helped matters.  As they’ve done before, though, Wilco delivered…

“I Am Trying to Break Your Heart” and “War on War” DESTROY “Bright Leaves” and “Before Us.”  So glad they got the new album’s opening tracks out of the way first.  “War on War" remains brilliant!!

The unceasing nursery-rhyme two-step of “One And Half Stars” deserves that many stars... Fortunately, the new album does improve significantly as it goes along.

If I Ever Was A Child”: apparently a deep cut off Schmilco.  Hope some other hardcore fan enjoyed it.

Omg, I just realize I’m involuntary shaking my hands during “Handshake Drugs”!!!  The brand-new feedback whisper-out Jeff Tweedy added at the end was *perfect.*

“At Least That’s What You Said”!!!!  I hadn’t realized it until now, but it’s probably my favorite down-low Wilco song.  A soul shaking *journey* each time I hear it.

Hummingbird” remains so smooth. Great lyrics as well.

“There’s a gentleman over here who advises us to Keep On Rocking.  We’ll take your lobbying under consideration.”  

White Wooden Cross": “This song is not super sad if you don’t listen to the lyrics.  Or listen to them; I don’t give a f---. It’s not so bad to be sad.”  Deceptively deep quote!! What he said about lyrics is hilariously true.  I had actually read the lyrics before I heard the song, and I was shocked by the disconnect.

The thunder claps during live renditions of “Via Chicago” remain frustrating, but the song is much better once each rumble ends.

Haven’t heard “Bull Black Nova” in a while.  I was about to meh it as empty aggression, but they totally reinvent the song!!!  Tweedy makes the blood section into spoken-word menace...and then explodes it.  I will continue to go to Wilco shows until they stop performing. Always something new!!!

HA, they pick perhaps the one memorable song off Star Wars, “Random Name Generator.”  Smart decision.

“Reservations”!!!!  Don’t think I’ve ever heard it live before, it doesn’t stand out on Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, but that was tender wonder right there.  Held my breath from beginning to end.

The lyrics, dark tone, and chance to hear Nels Cline make “We Were Lucky” a fitting title.  I did say the new album got better as it went along.

Love Is Everywhere (Beware)” reminds me of The Shins’ “A Comet Appears.”  That’s a good sign.

“Impossible Germany”!!  I swear Nels added so much new stuff.  Lol at Tweedy’s ‘direction’: “That’s exactly how I asked you to do it tonight.”

Forget The Flowers” and “Box Full of Letters” shows their incredible range.  I’d forgotten they started as alt-country.

Hilarious riff on an audience member reading his book mid show. “There are layers.  It needs to be read multiple times.  That was the intention.”

Everybody Hides” is the most tight, catchy new one.

Mini reinvention of “Theologians”!!  So enjoyable.

I’m The Man Who Loves You.”  The happiness continues.

Hahahaha: “We just went off the stage, and now we came back.  What a lovely surprise.  Thank you.”

If it wasn’t so new, people would really like “Hold Me Anyway.”  Smooth, sincere, upbeat: a winner.

“Misunderstood”!!!!  The max rock version with a quieter outro.  Such skills.

California Stars” felt a bit thin.

Red-Eyed and Blue”: wow, one from Being There I’ve never heard them play live.  Heeee at the straight bluebird whistling section!

Another ancient one, “I Got You”: super fun, especially the fake out where they keep going!!

“Outtasite”!!!!

Grade: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment