Wednesday, December 28, 2022

263 -- The Killers -- Monday, October 10, 2022 -- Capital One Arena -- DC

--- “My Soul’s Warning”: a confetti cannon on the first song? Well, that’s a first!! Not my favorite song, but woo at the way he bellows “I just want to get back to where you are.” Plus, the place he inserts “DC” is perfect. Danny’s arms are everywhere.

--- “When You Were Young”!!!! The place is vibrating. And we’re on song two.

--- “The Way It Was”: a step down, but I love the way Brandon Flowers is having a dialogue with an arena. He’s workin’ it, all Bavoso sweat, spurring the crowd to join him lyric for lyric on a lesser-known song.

--- “DC, how the hell are you? The leaves have begun to blush. Damn right, you’re alright. Service to others is the way to get to heaven. And I don’t know about you, but that’s where we want to go.” Well that was an interesting mix of vibes, lol.

--- “Smile Like You Mean”!! HA, Danny is videoing every song. The song’s simple drive is effective.

--- “Shot at the Night”: aww, he’s now leading the crowd in waves.

--- “Cody”: eh.

--- “Human” / “Spaceman” / “Somebody Told Me”!!!!! First, “Human” is a technical marvel. The use of a giant human-dancer Advent calendar was inspired. Superb choreography. Next, the pace of “Spaceman” is go-for-broke. Such power. Finally, the faith in “Somebody Told Me” is justified. No pyrotechnics needed, it’s that strong. Love Danny’s tearful lies. She said earlier in the night she wouldn’t yell to preserve her throat. #Nope :)

--- Awww at my conversation with a guy across from me: “I like your energy. It adds to it…I like your energy. It adds to it. I saw you closing your eyes earlier, and it made me smile.” !!!

--- “Fire in Bone”: the second orange confetti is lackluster and feels desperate.

--- “Boy,” their new single: I dig its insistent electric.

--- Heh: “Some of you may not know that over Covid, The Killers made a country record. Hear me out though, hear me out.” Nice.

--- “A Dustland Fairytale”: back in business!!! Aww: I say “here we go” to Danny at the rhythm change. I then realize that Brody says the same thing!

--- “I First Time I Ever Saw Your Face” by Roberta Flack: wow, Flowers’ voice is so clear.

--- “Runaways”!! His energy corrals the crowd – as does the slow to a crawl at the end.

--- “Read My Mind”: underrated -- so smooth!!! Plus, the guitar solo, backdrop, and random “Lean On Me” insert.

--- I like “Dying Breed”’s racing-through-Vegas visual, and that’s one of my favorite titles. “Caution” continues the cool-title trend: i.e. “throwing caution to the wind.” Oooh, sparklers.

--- “All These Things That I’ve Done”!!!! That confetti cannon was EARNED. The number of ways they playyyyed with the chorus was inspired. They may not find it fun anymore, but they sure made us believe they did.

--- “Just Another Girl”: heh, switches to a satin green shirt for the encore.

--- “It’s my favorite part of the night. I get to welcome Johnny Marr out on the stage.” Wow, from The Smiths!!! “You Haven’t Earned It Yet, Baby.” Yeah they have.

--- The “Mr. Brightside” fakeout for the ages!!!!! Brandon Flowers punk’d everyone with this plinky, artsy, disco version at first. If that had been it, it would have been understandable, a way for band members to branch out and not feel rote.

It wouldn’t have satisfying though. By including both and pretending to leave right after the first one, they BLEW THE ROOF OFF. I can’t think of a more ferocious moment at an arena. I’d seen Rage Against The Machine there days earlier, and this felt fiercer.

--- Danny, unprompted, in the metro parking lot afterward: “I could not have imagined this. If you had told me when I first heard ‘Human’ in Oaxaca that I would have experienced what I did tonight, I would never have believed you. It’s a dream come true.”

Grade: A+






No comments:

Post a Comment