Wednesday, December 28, 2022

258 -- Dave Tieff -- Saturday, June 25, 2022 -- The Allgeier Backyard -- Baldwin, MD

 --- “Solution”: I’m shocked how few people are paying attention. I can already tell though; this will be great. The way he’s…scratching?...the guitar grabs me. By the end of the song, people are falling in line. Legends build their own arenas. 

--- “When you’re done doing her, can you come hook a brother up?” HA.

--- “Clear Blue” has such soul. The stop-and-starts a la “Buddy Holly” have a real kick.

--- Hahahaha at Angie requesting “All Day Long” and Dave Tieff not knowing it.

--- Heh at his “Country Song.” Solid inflection on “my balls” and creative cluck-cluck section. “But she could suck a possum through ten feet of garden hose.” Lol.

--- Backup singer Dave Tieff did a solid job on “Roll Into The Light” -- especially the low, quiet section halfway through. It’s undeniable though: Angie Bryl owns the song.

--- Hahaha at Daryn showing him “All Day Long” on the phone. Still nothing lol. He says not knowing makes him look bad, but to me, it’s endearing.

--- “Head Wide Open”: Kevyn’s request. Such a tender rendition.

--- “Isn’t he so charismatic and talented?” “Yeah.” “I want to get inside you. You’re so bizarre.”

--- Angie requests 90s alternative, which leads to…“Jumper”! Aww, Hark and every last person there is singing. Good choice, Dave. 

--- Something new for me: “Plush” by Stone Temple Pilots.

--- Alice In Chains request, from Kevyn: “I find it repeating in my head.” Who knew he had that falsetto?!!!

--- I ask Dave and the crowd, “Is this Kevyn’s 40th birthday or my 38th?” Well, glad I know what I’m doing when I’m 40!!!! [Update: the hourly rate and travel rate to book Tieff for a party makes it unlikely I’ll book him for my own 40th birthday. I’m thankful though that Kevyn and Lisa invited me to this show!]

--- The way he says “You’re asking me to try I am” breaks me into pieces. Hahahaha at the muted “shut your mouth.” Nick Oben would be proud! Solid progression to high energy halfway through.

--- Heh at all the acronyms in “Don’t Tell The CIA.” Laurie Keith declares, “This is a fun one.” I agree. 

--- “Do I have to do the other version? No. Well, I’m going to do it anyway.” He lives to serve.

--- I told Dave of my Poetry Club deadbeats and how he was a talentless hack. It went well. :)

--- Another full-yard chorus for “Wonderwall.”

--- Awww at Angie and Tom in sync for every word of “Ten Thousand Miles”!! Heh at Dave pausing to ask “how’s the cake?” and then shifting seamlessly back to sincerity. Pro!!!!

--- Hahahaha at our topical Tipper Gore riff, “we don’t need no education,” and “another 12-15 years, Orioles will be right back in this.” 

--- Now he’s on a hilarious/meaningful riff about taking risks and experiencing things for yourself. Amen.

--- All the singers come out --> Hark for Buffalo Springfield’s “Stop Children, What’s That Sound,” Tom for the start of “Sense,” and Tom and Angie together for the back half!!!! 

--- Sublime’s “What I’ve Got” and “Cyrus Column” are worthy finales. 

--- Best night in a backyard since camping at Welch’s house in West Virginia – since college.

Grade: A


No comments:

Post a Comment