Wednesday, December 28, 2022

268/269 -- The Struts / Spoon -- Wednesday, December 7, 2022 -- The Anthem -- DC

Danny’s last night out before returning to Mexico was this DC101-derland show featuring The Struts, Spoon, and Jimmy Eat World. An awesome surprise was being joined by Ben Markouk, his friend Tyler, Gail Schiefelbein, her husband Tyler, her grad school roommate, and a fourth friend. 

Even better, the group was able to gather feet from the stage, avoiding the view issue that plagued the Minnesota Noah Kahan show. It seemed like we wouldn’t be able to at first, when a random lunatic hissed, “that’s not how concerts work” when I stepped off the rail for a moment ten minutes before the set. 

Fortunately, she soon left, and all we settled in. Here’s a live blog of the rest of the show…

--- I love how Luke Spiller, the Struts’ frontman, is giving it his all. In his mind, he’s not an opener. He’s headlining Coachella. 

--- “Could Have Been Me” sounds good, and I like how they changed the lyric to “could have been DC.” Wish I’d gotten to see more of them. 

On to Spoon:

--- “Wild” is useless. Zero presence.

--- “Cherry Bomb” is better – a lot better. 

--- Frontman Britt Daniel attempts to scream “DC!” but his heart’s not in it.

--- “Don’t You Evah”: I blanked out. The charisma was too great to concentrate… 

--- “The Way We Get By”: nothing to write home about, but I like it was featured in Everwood. Any reminder of Everwood boosts my mood. 

--- “My Mathematical Mind” is spooky cool. Badass keyboardist!!!

--- Ooh, unique intro to “The Underdog.” Such a catchy, enjoyable song. Not something I can often say with Spoon, but I’ll take it!

--- Ben makes it across The Anthem to Stage Right! #Commitment.

--- “My Babe”: better than when we heard it in the car. Solid midtempo change-up. I like that the guy in front of me is into it.

--- “The Hardest Cut”: diverting enough in the moment. No hook or tone to grab onto though. In other words, classic Spoon…

--- The intro to “I Turn My Camera On” sounds eerily like Franz Ferdinand -- especially “Michael.” It goes on too long, but I still dig it. 

--- Heh, the drummer’s name is Jimmy Chips. Cool name, plus it reminds me, in less than half an hour, I’m about to hear Jimmy Eat World!!!

--- “Got Nuffin” has an addictive dark mood!!! There’s no flash or histrionics. It’s pure drive.

--- “Rent I Pay”: Odd closer…Weak.

--- Overall, Daniels did try to engage the crowd more than last time, so I’ll add a plus. TIME FOR JIMMY.

The Struts Grade: B+

Spoon Grade: C+








No comments:

Post a Comment