Saturday, April 20, 2019

225 -- U2 -- Monday, June 18, 2018 -- Capital One Arena -- DC

This U2 concert is off to a good start.  I just walked up to Capital One Arena a minute before the show starts, and a front-row seat is available.  Gotta love hidden same-day tickets!!

Cool effect where a screen gradually reveals the band coming in MIDCROWD.

The dancing, shirt-waving guy in front of me is a good cheerleader.

Hehe at everyone’s phone flashlights during “Lights of Home.”

“I Will Follow”!!  Heh: “this is not a new song.”  “We’re a band from Dublin, Ireland.  If you let us in, we’ll never leave.”

The guitarist is so close to me!  Pink Shirt Crowd Man is like a fifth member of the band!!  Now I’m alive.

“Beautiful Day.”  Tear at the post-9-11 memories...  It makes me consider Life After The Current President. 

HA, Bono references the “Stanley-Cup-winning Washington Capitals.” 

Interesting: “Iris” is Bono’s mother, the inspiration behind the 2015 album Songs of Innocence. Cool (if literal) visual of Bono walking through his childhood street while performing.

Friday, May 19, 1974: “Bloody Sunday.”  “How long, how long must we sing this song?”  The visuals, again, are so literal, but affecting nonetheless.  Wow, this was the biggest loss of life in one day in Irish history, and no one has been brought to justice.

If he does not mention the children on the border at some point, I WILL NOT UNDERSTAND.

Uhhhhh...he just spit a stream of water into the crowd.  My mom, in spirit, is appalled.

Umm, there’s this graphic novel unfolding on screen, and I have no clue what it means.  I wish I understood the two most recent albums and could make a lick of sense of it.  I like, though, that they’re going for it -- no need to pander to casual fans.

Heh: “Are you ready to get elevated?”  Nice funk in Hark’s “Elevation.”  For me, it’s a rare midtempo song that works.

Heh: “Any Spanish speakers in the house?  Vamos a una fiesta.”  “Vertigo”!!

Bono: “What’s the use of innocence when experience seems so much more fun.”

Still funny: “There goes the best wearer of a white blazer since Clark Gable.”

“Are we feeling Experience tonight?  Are we feeling like a little loss of Innocence?”  Odd, stilted call-and-response.  “Maybe we’ll get a little Innocence back after election season.” <--- but="" frustratingly="" i="" ll="" o:p="" oblique="" reference="" some="" substance="" take="" the="" to="">

This Bono devil half-hologram is super awkward, but at least it brings this: “So nice to hear people using the Bible to justify anything they want.”  Take that, Sessions!

Devil figure: “It’s when you don’t believe I exist that I do my best work.”  Even when people know he exists, he’s doing an awful lot, but overall, I get it.

It’s not quite the Adele Election Night Debacle, but it’s hard to concentrate amidst thoughts of the families at the border.

Heh, there’s nothing very Pop about the 90s album Pop — their psychedelic period.  Awww, it’s when they fell in love in music again, started to raise their kids, and peace came to Ireland!!!  “Staring At The Sun,” Hark’s other song. 

Props for their inclusion of Charlottesville videos.  And then, unexpectedly, we’re in the stratosphere, consumed by images of MLK, current marches, and pledges of solidarity with people at all borders.  Amen, Bono, amen.

Grade: B+

p.s.  They did not actually play "With or Without You," but it was so great in the recent Americans series finale that it's the first song I'm embedding here.


No comments:

Post a Comment