Saturday, April 20, 2019

226 -- Foo Fighters -- Friday, July 6, 2018 -- Merriweather Post Pavilion -- Columbia, MD

I was afraid I couldn’t make it from my crazy camp job to Merriweather in time.  Turns out I made great time and was able to catch up with Kevyn Allgeier and Tom Swindell before the show!   

OMG, we are SO CLOSE.


The band tears through “All My Life,” “Learn to Fly,” and “The Pretender.”  Guess they’re not starting with Concrete and Gold — good!!

And now Dave Grohl is eating his hair.  Again and again and again. 

Yessss at “do you worship rock and roll?”

“The Sky is a Neighborhood” happened. 

Oooh, female singers on stage.  #UsToo?

“Rope” riff......wheeeee.  Mega drum raise adds to it.  Best part?  Dave just sits on the side, sipping a beer, soaking it all in!!!!

Sunday Rain” by Taylor Hawkins is a nice change of pace.

Eagle-eyed Kevyn notices that the stage lights up top say FF: nice!!

The chill factor is unreal right now.

Dave: “Sorry it took an hour to say hello.  Hello.  Local Maryland lingooooooooooooo.”

“Ronny Jaffney, give it to the hometown.”!!!

Awwwww, Tom’s cooing “These Days.”  Total new appreciation for the song.  Friggin’ pacing.  Lyrics too.  Related to what I perceive as the decline of rock itself makes the experience so beautifully sad!!!!!  Omg “Walk” is even better, especially with the “never wanna die” lyric.

Dave: “For those unaccustomed to Foo Fighters shows, these are my nipples…When I come back to this area, I make it my personal obligation to put on a kick-a-- show.”

Awwww at the old guy flipping out at WABA, then DC-101, then HFS.  In his honor, Dave’s about to play some Alice Cooper.  “That’s some WABA s--- right there.”

HA: Dave’s daring the guitarist to get up on the front speakers they don’t normally have.

I love that there are zero set pieces or pyrotechnics.  JUST LIKE BRUCE.

Nate St. Mendel on the bass guitar.  Heh, during “Another One Bites The Dust,” Dave admits, “been in the band for 21 years, and I’ve never seen Nate on a speaker like that.”

They play “Imagine” to the lyrics of Van Halen’s “Jump.”  Whoa.  Bold.

Pat Smear doesn’t like “Blitzkrieg Bop,” lol.  Good Rock Club memories!!

Heh: Dave calls Taylor Hawkins the “love of my life, the best German I know, what would happen if Freddie Mercury and Kelly Slater had a love child."

Hella fun “Under Pressure” with The Struts guy, Taylor, and Dave swapping off on drums. 

Wheels”: apparently it’s big in Germany.  Not here...  I appreciate the guts playing it though.

Awwww at Kevyn flipping out during “This Is A Call.”

Breakout” kills with the lights!!!

Awww at birthday girl shotgunning with Dave.  Dave: “Now I’ve gone to college.”  Lol.

It’s good that they incorporated the female trio into “Dirty Water.”  Such a strong shift in the back half.

A brand new appreciation for “Run”!!!

I literally lost multiple songs to emotion.  Best “Best of You” I’ve heard. 

“Everlong”!!!!!  Perhaps my favorite concert-ending song ever, thanks to the kid below. A sad anticipation I've had as a future father is how little rock music seems to be on the horizon. When I saw this kid's excitement on his dad's shoulders, though, when Dave Grohl appeared to literally reach out to him, it gave me hope. Great music can last -- everlong.


Grade: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment