Sunday, April 21, 2019

231 -- Gary Clark Jr. -- Saturday, March 30, 2019 -- The Anthem -- DC

“Bright Lights Big City” is a righteous opener!  It’s helped by the lights, the bouncing guy in front of me, and the discovery I make by the end.  I discover that I’m doing Adaptive PE warmups throughout: arm circle, neck rolls, and best of all, rock-n-rolls at a rock-n-roll show!!     

Ain’t Messin’ Around”: nice shift to lighter vibe.  The “give it up now” chorus is catchy, as is the wicky-wicky funk section.

“What’s up, DC?”  Glad he’s not too cool to engage with the crowd, even if his words are muffled.

I Walk Alone”: nice shift to falsetto.  Glad the song doesn’t overstay its welcome.

When I’m Gone”: easy listenin'

“Low Down Rolling Stone”!!  Strong on the album and in person.  I dig how casual he was with the solo.  He really isn’t repeating himself.

I recognized “What About Us” from the beginning!  The smooth “there goes the neighborhood” section stands out.

Tender “Our Love” brings out yet another side.  The extended riff is earned because there isn’t one every song!  Then it transitions back to tenderness.  An organic story arc!!!!  “I’m just soaking this all up.”  Me too, man.

Feed The Babies” is too midtempo to do much.

Feeling Like A Million” is spacey and distinctive from the start.  The reggae works, as does the extended drive ending.

“Gotta Get Into Something”: the frenetic red wobble was so addictive!!!  Having what seemed like one total lyric (“gotta get up”) added to it.

He needs to stop mumbling when he talks to the crowd.

I Got My Eyes On You” never gives me something meaningful to grab onto, but the end riff is sick.

“Gotta Get Into Something”!!!! “Go crazy, DC.”  That we are.  6, 9, 6, 9.  Such a happy song.

When My Train Pulls”: the bouncer in front of me approves.  Cool twist that Gary steps out of the spotlight halfway through and whisper-plinks for two minutes straight.  The best part is him putting up his arm.  It’s a sign of some personality, so the crowd goes wild.  “Gar-EE, Gar-EE” they chant.

Surprisingly PUMPED for “This Land.”  Love the distinctive, discordant sound and angry, specific lyrics.  The jam at the end meant something!!!

“Pearl Cadillac”: The bouncer knows that this song is about his parents.  Gary mumbles credit to the keyboard player.  Love the vulnerability AND drive — perfect mirror of “This Land”!!!!  Gorgeous falsetto put it over the top.  Woo at him thanking Foo Fighters at the end.

The Guitar Man”: Awww, “there are a lot of guitar players in here, am I right?”

Cover of Robert Peltway’s “Catfish Blues.” Like the leisurely pace at the end.

Don't Owe You A Thang”: his vocal has surprising power.  Then there’s an unexpected hoedown.  So many friggin’ sides?!?!  Aww at him giving the opening band multiple minutes to riff.

A truly satisfying closer….“Come Together”!!!!

Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment