Friday, July 14, 2023

272 -- Van Morrison [Newmyer Flyer tribute] -- Friday, January 13, 2023 -- The Birchmere -- Alexandria, VA

--- Mesmerizing electric rendition of “Somewhere Over The Rainbow” in honor of Jeff Beck, who died days earlier. What a start!!!

--- Apparently this is the 10th anniversary of Newmyer Flyer shows, including their first one here at the Birchmere!

--- It’s my first time at the Birchmere, and it’s a cool venue. I don’t love that it’s 429 dinner tables, which discourages dancing, but the lights, viability, and acoustics are all strong. 

--- The venue and audience made reflect on age with unexpected intensity. I’ve always loved hanging out with retirees, especially Jim Andrukonis’ Frost alumni group. Their experience, wisdom, and humor have been a treasure. They’re able to gather and engage with films in a way few young people do. 

 The unsettling element at the Birchmere — as it may be in a few months with Bruce — is how constricted the crowd is. In my mind, rock music is supposed a resemble a rocket — a “heart-stopping, pants-dropping, hard-rocking, booty-shaking, love-making” explosion that lifts you off the ground. Hard to feel that when the audience seems planted, expressionless, in the ground. 

What I have to recognize, I think, is it’s a physical thing. The movement may not be there, but that doesn’t mean they’re not moved. [Update: “Rosalita” later will prove fans of any age can still do both. :)]

--- Most of the Van Morrison set will be a tribute to the 1971 Moondance album. The crooner nails the title song, a jazzy flutter that’s infinitely better live!!! Plus, I’m excited by any chance to link to the end of Frasier’s “Moondance,” one of the greatest scenes in tv history. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZRq0ZU51XGQib9fQujN6Cej_LEoQPPNu/view?usp=sharing

--- “Crazy Love” adds three female vocalists.

--- “Brown Eyed Girl” brings me back to my mom singing my singer “Brown Eyed Katie.”

--- The expanding lights during “Into The Mystic” enhance the mood! Crystal clear vocals as well.

--- “Come Running” has a toe-tapping punch to it. There’s the first sax.

--- “These Dreams of You” is solid, if a bit midtempo.

--- It’s interesting to hear how many of these musicians have won awards in the DC area. It reminds me there’s an entire local music scene I’ve never tapped into.

--- “Everyone” is apparently the quirkiest song on the album -- “something peculiarly Irish about it.” Heh, I agree. I like the sound effect that somehow reminds me of a shamrock.

--- Hahaha at the "Glad Tidings" intro: “This is a weird song. I first heard it on The Sopranos. It’s the one when [spoiler alert] Tony Soprano whacks Tony B. It’s a Christmas song too.” The upbeat ballad vibe makes me picture how it was used ironically in the episode!!

--- “Warm Love” seems a little warmed over.

--- “Jackie Wilson Said (I’m In Heaven)”!!! This track stood out to me on the album (I thought Brody would be all about the rhythm), and it’s a blast live.  

Grade: B+

 

No comments:

Post a Comment