Monday, July 17, 2023

277 – Lauryn Hill – Friday, June 9, 2023 – Wolftrap – Vienna, VA

--- Running into Rocky and Barb Barnhart!

--- Animated, cool DJ plays diaspora music before Lauryn Hill enters.

--- Hahaha, “I came here to celebrate an indictment; how about you?”!!!

--- “We’re here to celebrate 50 years of hip hop, 25 years of miseducation.”

--- Wow at the THUNDEROUS applause when Ms. Hill showed up an hour in -- in a *regal* outfit!!!

--- “When It Hurts So Bad” (Why’s It Feel So Bad)” has a strong, unified chorus and sound. My favorite so far.

--- “Final Hour,” “Lost Ones,” and “Every Ghetto, Every City” are operatic and infectious. Ms. Hill, the band, the orchestra, the rapper, the hype man: wow!!!

--- Sadly, two things held me back: my phone’s low battery and my ignorance. I’m usually a Backup Battery Boy Scout, and I usually listen to all albums as much as I can before a show. Alas, life got in the way, limiting how much an appreciate her greatness.

--- Glad I got to at least end the phone portion of the show with “Zion,” a ballad whose power stood out on the first run through -- especially the “beautiful-beautiful-beautiful” ending. (The run through was literal: I first heard it on the treadmill at Gold’s haha.)

Next time (50th anniversary tour?) I’ll be sure to prep more — and bring an extra charger. 

Grade: B/B+


No comments:

Post a Comment