Friday, July 14, 2023

273 -- Bruce Springsteen [Newmyer Flyer tribute] -- Friday, January 13, 2023 -- The Birchmere -- Alexandria, VA

--- Wow, The Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle is now 50. 

--- “E Street Shuffle”!!! I recognize I’m biased, but all the dancers and jammers on stage make it TROUNCE Van Morrison. Heh, nice touch flashing a Greetings from Asbury Park pic at the end. Can’t wait to listen to the album in the car on the way home.

--- Yayyy, he calls “4th of July (Asbury Park)” Sandy the height of his storytelling powers!!!! He has us picture all these sensory details before starting. Can’t fathom why people write it off “Sandy” as third-rate. The guy’s voice doesn’t have enough grit and volume the song needs, but I love the intro and the washed-out electric. Never heard electric on this song!!

--- “Kitty’s Back” keeps it kickin’ in a high gear!

--- “Wild Billy’s Circus Story”: Awww, “I’m just killing time because I gotta catch my breath after that last tune.” Ooh, my first ever time hearing this performed live! “Hired hand tightens his legs on the sword swallower's blade”: what imagery! “God save the human cannonball.” This singer has the grit and volume asked for in the previous song. What a discovery!!!! I involuntarily think, “God, I love music.”

--- “A lot of people think this is a flawless side of music. Only three songs on it, but I have to agree with them.”

--- “Incident on 57th Street”: I dig the instruments and the female vocalists, but this mumbly-then-shouty cover man is no Bruce. Oooh at the piano solo at the end! A perfect transition to…..

--- “Rosalita”!!!! TRANSCENDS AGE.

--- “A producer must have said, ‘Bruce, you have that incredibly medley and you end with a slow ballad.’ Don’t get wrong, though, this album changed my life as a teenager. And now I see the man in front of me reacting that way. It’s touched a lot of nerves.” 

--- “New York City Serenade”!!! Perfect counterpoint to “Rosalita.” Jesus Christ at the acoustic plucks.

--- “The Fever”: Shoutout to WHFS, who played this Tracks track which was recorded around the same time as “Wild Billy.” Aww at the bespectacled guy in front of me loud clapping at this obscure number. Killer red lights, slick sax, and growly delivery!!

--- Father Mumbles is back for “Growin’ Up” lol. It’s a downgrade, but still fun.

--- “My older brother, who was my greatest musical influence, saw Bruce at Shady Grove Music Fair.” Apparently he was hanging on a wire and jumping on a piano.” HA, both brothers took turns saying and denying that they were Bruce.

--- Ha/aww at the guy literally calling his brother on speaker in Texas before launching into “Spirit in the Night”!!!

BRING ON BRUCE IN MARCH AND APRIL. It will be unreal.

In the end, the show proves that music can last. If it’s a hospital bed or not, to my last dying day, I will leap to it.

Grade: A

“Growin’ Up [Live at the Roxy]” for the first time on the way home!

Grade: A+


No comments:

Post a Comment