Sunday, July 9, 2017

197 -- Tony Bennett -- Thursday, July 28, 2016 -- Wolf Trap -- Vienna, VA

The concert, in a nutshell: Tony Bennett, three days from his 90th birthday, crushed it. The human spirit, man -- it's something else.

For Bennett fans, here’s more info on what it was like to be there:

--- If my 100-year-old nana were still alive, I would have invited her.  In comparison to much of the audience, she'd seem like a spring chicken!  I kid.  There are spry 50-somethings sprinkled in…  

--- Aww, Sinatra audio intro!  “They All Laughed.”  Intriguing lyric: “Like Columbus Day without Christopher Columbus.”

--- “My Solitude”!!  Whoa, Duke Ellington grew up here -- in Vienna.  Duke's mom told him he was great, and he never forgot it.  I'm genuinely going to take that with me.  The fact that he follows that strong story with outstanding pacing makes it the clear high of the night.

--- “Sing You Sinners”!  Oooh, one of the few songs I specifically remember from The Essential Tony Bennett.  He's got everyone clapping -- nice.

--- “Steppin' Out with My Baby”: HA, the lyric “never felt quite so sunny” as it starts to pour!!  Thank God I'm inside and not on the lawn.

--- Nice casual tribute to the guitarist: “Don't he play beautiful?”

--- He's played at Wolftrap every year since 1950 -- 66 years!



--- “My Love Is Here to Stay.”  Unlike the lawn people, who have to be fleeing in this thunder, lightning, and RAIN.  It just occurs to me that he sang “My Love is Here to Stay” right after he told us he's played here for 66 years. Whoa, Wikipedia tells me he's now 90?!  And his voice has not seemed to age a day! There's hope for Bruce yet!

--- Aww, “Because of You,” the first song on The Essential Tony Bennett.  Ooh, I think he's doing a speed-round medley like Weezer and Stevie Wonder did.  Smart.

--- The steady, peaceful rain in the background adds a cool aura.

--- The very first song he ever wrote: “Boulevard of Broken Dreams.”  Billie Joe Armstrong does not approach the stage for a duet.  Considering the forceful run at the end, he doesn't need to.

--- “The Good Life"!  Nope, no Rivers Cuomo either.  He does, however, mention he sang it with Lady Gaga on their recent, improbable tour.  He adds, hilariously, that he wants everyone to buy it because she needs the money.

--- “How do you keep a song from fading too fast?”  Whoa -- powerful lyric.  The rest of the lyrics are powerful too, as is the twisty master class finale!!!  Everyone involuntarily gets out of their seat and applauds at the end.  90.  “How Do You Keep the Music Playing” is the title.

--- Heh, a few dance shuffles.  “May we play more?”  Suavest Tim Kaine ever.

--- Sinatra!  “One for My Baby, and One More for the Road.”

--- Aww, “For Once in My Life”!!  Honestly, Melinda Doolittle's was more memorable, but having the connection beforehand and the audience standing a second time makes it powerful.

--- Double bass = stealth murder.  So.  Smooth.  



--- Lol at the crowd during “I Left My Heart in San Francisco.”  I think they know this one.  Shrieks.

--- Yay, he chuckles at the first “let it rain and thunder” line of “Who Cares?”  The quiet instrument solos sound lowkey cool.  Or in today's slang, is “lowkey cool” redundant?

--- “Smile”!!  So tender.  I love how often he nods to the band.  Such a gentleman.  Heh, another Tony chuckle at “bring on the chain.”  Unexpected, welcome, jazzy rhythm shift at the end.

--- Most understated, sick "Fly Me to the Moon" you ever did hear.  Includes another “sing forever” lyric.

--- Surprise birthday dog / birthday cake!

--- “As I Approach the Prime of My Life”: Everyone feels the relevance.  Woo, Tony.

Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment