Monday, July 10, 2017

208 -- Rise Against -- Wednesday, June 14, 2017 -- MGM National Harbor -- Oxon Hill, MD

This Rise Against show was a bit of a disappointment.  They were the opening band not the headliner, parts of the setlist felt forced/jumbled, and most importantly, I was not able to share the experience as I was able to last time.

That said, it was a Rise Against show, so it was still a rush. Moments of black joy shot up time and time again.  Starting with…

--- “Re-Education”!!!  I was stuck in the back and middle during the opening two songs, where low-energy members of the crowd weren’t remotely “Ready to Fall.”  Once I moved close to the stage, though, Rise Against greatness came back in a heartbeat – one that was POUNDING AWAY. :)
   
--- “Satellite” featured a cool slow section, and “The Violence” was a solid new song, so more “Help [Was] on the Way.”

--- HA at the fact that communication broke down around me during “Welcome to the Breakdown.”  First, my phone flew out of my hand.  Next, I tried searching for it IN A MOSH PIT.  Then, when I found it, this guy came at me, insisting it was his girlfriend’s phone?!  By the end of the song, though, when I pulled up photos showing the man he’d lost his mind, he said sorry and hugged me!

--- “How we survive (who we are), that's what makes us who we are.”  Exactly what I told the Rock Club kids!!

--- The inspiration continues: “If you remember nothing else, resist the urge to bury your head in the sand.”  YES.  Mentions the GOP baseball field shooting from today.  Appreciate him mentioning the GOP baseball field shooting from today.  Love the rare moments when a band breaks the script of the rest of the tour.

--- Beautiful tone shift with “People Live Here.”  Haunting vocals.



--- Lol at most people not knowing “Wolves” and the awkwardly obvious images on the video screen.  Nice scream at the end though.

--- Whoa at all the new riffs during “Prayer of the Refugee”!!!! Best version I’ve ever heard of their best song.

--- Without an intro, “Make It Stop” feels less powerful than last time.  It’s as if, now that there’s less homophobia, they’re going through the motions.  Sigh.

--- “Savior” is much too calm to end on.  Sigh.  At least there’s still the sweet pause section.  And it’s Rise Against, so next time, with other people / stronger songs, they’ll be back on top!

Grade: B+ 

No comments:

Post a Comment