Monday, July 10, 2017

206 – Explosions in the Sky – Tuesday, April 18, 2017 – Rams Head Live – Baltimore, MD

I came to Explosions through Friday Night Lights.  Their sound made the movie/show better, enhancing each scene it was in.  The words Matt Saracen said to his dad, the words Coach said to Matt as his surrogate dad, what Coach said at State -- it all meant more with the band's sound in the background.  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw572hRD1diCZUNXZ1N6cDV6RlU/view

The sad difference, live, is that there were no words -- no scenes or stories either.  I thought I could get past that, could love an only-instrumental band, but I couldn't.  

I had reason to hope: (1) Songs that feature extended instrumentals are usually in my top two or three for my favorite bands.  (2) Explosions sounded great.  (3) They looked stunning.  

And yet......it was hard to connect. All this arresting little moments...lost a moment later.  Pensive one second, propulsive the next...and gone.  It's the same experience I've had with classical music.

It's my failing, not theirs.  It made me realize, though, that I need some known structure, some emotional tether, for a show to work.  

When I get that, I'm satisfied -- I find meaning.  I might be lifted up to heaven; I might be dragged down to hell.  Either way, I go somewhere.  I see more than scattered explosions in the sky...

Grade: C+



No comments:

Post a Comment