Monday, July 10, 2017

207 -- Wilco -- Friday, June 9, 2017 -- Wolf Trap -- Vienna, VA

Friday, June 9 was the worst day of the school year – by a mile.  There were not many bad days this school year, and I ended up getting over it, but I was not in a good frame of mind entering the show. 

On rare occasions that emotions make me ill, time is the only way I can heal.  I try to distract myself with sounds and visuals I normally like, but it doesn’t work.  Good things still feel bad.  Waiting is the only effective medicine.  I need time to feel better.

Until Wilco.  Little by little over the course of the show, the songs raised my spirit.  The performance changed my mood.  Jeff Tweedy, miracle worker – who knew? ;)  Here’s how it all happened:    

--- “On and On and On.”  Nice.  Promising non-mechanical start.

--- “Cry All Day.”  Fitting for today.  Ooooooh at the last verse.  

--- I'm flipping out at “I Am Trying To Break Your Heart.”  It's not even a song of mine, but the discordant lashes are miles above whatever was on the last two albums.  Plus, more importantly, the show is cathartic as hell.

--- “Art of Almost”!!!!  Lunacy.  My body is jungle gym.  Yes.

--- Started out slow, but the non-Schmilco funk of “Pickled Ginger” grew on me.

--- “We bring you tidings of great joy.  And confusion.”  HEE. 

--- So early for “Misunderstood,” but I'll take it.  The catalogue is deep, and it's awesome.  Kinda miss the violent “nothings” at the end, but the unpredictability points make it work.


  --- Some useless new song.

--- “Pot Kettle Black” sounds great by comparison.  Yay.

--- “It's such a beautiful night.  Sorry to play all these depressing songs.  Hope you're now depressed about something else.”  HA, appreciate it.

--- Still don’t like the crashes during “Via Chicago.”  Nice when they come out of them though.

--- Hehe, “that was all the finding-your-seats music.”

--- “Box Full of Letters” oddly feels better than “Impossible Germany” and “Jesus Etc.”  There are lower expectations, and it feels more original.

--- “Theologians”!!

--- “I'm Always in Love”!  An official new rule tonight: small songs are better than big ones!!  Aww, I look at the row in front of me, and this guy's like me – he’s flicking his head the whole time!!!

--- “We have more.  We have more.”  Woo!

--- Familiar works too!!!  “Heavy Metal Drummer,” “I'm The Man Who Loves You,” “Hummingbird,” and “The Late Greats” all rock.

--- Encore.  “Ashes of American Flags” earns non-sellout points.  It’s chill AND electric.  So many sides, Jeff, so many sides.  Don’t remember this riff ending. Nice!!

--- Sickkkkkk shift into...

--- “Spiders”!!!!  Still the crown jewel.  Endless reinvention.  This time with crowd is given the “bababa” chorus.

--- “California Stars” feels real smooth.  Heh at the bouncing Motown girl in front of me.  Another effortless shift.

--- At the start of the show, I wrote a Facebook status.  It was a shot in the dark I didn’t actually believe: “Time to lean on live music.  I have faith.  It will lift me up.”  Incredibly, that’s what happened.  Wilco saved the day. 

Grade: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment