Monday, July 10, 2017

205 -- Green Day -- Monday, March 13, 2017 -- Verizon Center -- DC

I made a conscious effort not to overhype myself for this concert.  This approach paid off, as I was hooked from the first notes.  I wish the band had a video monitor, and I wish it used the “way-o” crowd call way less, but virtually everything else was great.

--- Smart decision to have everyone join in on “Boulevard.”

--- “If you're looking at me through your camera, you're not looking at me.  We need to rub up against each other.”

--- Hahah at Billie Joe Armstrong forgetting the lyrics to “Welcome to Paradise.” Hahahah at the talented kid on stage not forgetting anything.  Exuberant pubescent profanity!

--- “2000 Light Years Away” from 1991.  Um, time for the t-shirt cannon...

--- Brilliant D.C. MD VA poll!!  Gauging where the crowd is from is easy to do, and seems like something the audience and performers would find equally interesting.  [For the record, the most people were from MD.]

--- “When I Come Around.” The woman to the left of me is amazingly animated and on point.  The woman to the right knew EVERY lyric.  Worth the price of admission.  I also spoke to a fascinating female fan on the metro ride home, so wooo, women.

--- “I've had this guitar since I was ten years old.  Thanks, mom.”!!!

--- “Minority.”  Nice mini acapella launch midway.  No connection to today: ugh.

--- They connect the drummer to MD and VA.  YES.

--- “Are We The Waiting” into “St Jimmi”!!!!  My calves, the nine hour pause before “and don't wear it out”: awesome!!!

--- Lol at random jazzy sax.

--- “A big hand for Against Me.  For some of you, that band may change your life.  Just like Operation Ivy, the band behind ‘Knowledge,’ changed mine.”

--- “If they build a wall, we're going to scale it.”  As close as we're to get to meaning.  Awww at the girl's three chords!  Natalie gets to keep the guitar?!!!

--- “Basket Case”: melodddddy!!!



--- “King For A Day”: Jason Freeze on sax, from Nimrod, totally different/new.  Interesting.  Lol at the romantic badana-na-nuh.

--- Lol at Billie kick line during “I Want You To Know."  Meh at “Shout,” but the comedy is killer!!  Fading lights and sax work well.

--- “I want love and tolerance and compassion and joy.  Stick up for the little guy.  That might be me.  We all come from these ----d up backgrounds.  We can all come together and be ----d up together.”  Amen.

--- “No Satisfaction” into an amazing “Hey Jude”: judyjudyjude!!

--- “Still Breathing”!!  By way of Kelly Clarkson…  “Somewhere Now”: strong! “Forever Now”: fine.

--- “American Idiot.”  Ugh, toothless....no wait....the whole apolitical thing's been a slow play....“---- YOU DONALD TRUMP!!!”  I'm shocked how emotional it feels.  Agree or not, they’re taking a stand, a prerequisite for punk.  “Jesus of Surburbia”!!!!  Epic glory.  As usual, I wince at “retarded” – outdated/unacceptable.  Overall, though, “Jesus” is a true pop-punk “Jungleland.”

--- Structurally clever, emotionally right codas: “Ordinary World” and “Good Riddance.”

Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment