Monday, July 10, 2017

203 -- Adele -- Tuesday, November 8, 2016 -- Toyota Center -- Houston, TX

This Adele concert was one of the four worst concerts I have ever been to. Unlike the three other debacles, this had nothing to do with Adele.  Givers, Bob Dylan, and Jack Johnson performed miserably; Adele did not.  She was funny, personable, and sang a number of strong songs well.  

This had everything to do with the date: Tuesday, November 8, 2016.  With each song, I got more texts from friends.  With each song, I grew more confused and upset.  Eventually, I left – more accurately, I fled – only the second time I have ever left a show early.  Hearing people laugh and cheer when this was happening made the situation worse.  Who throws a giant party during a funeral?  

Musically, it was a solid B+ and, if I had been there longer, on another day, it might have moved up to an A.  This was November 8, 2016, however, and a concert cannot compete with a cataclysm.  If someone years from now doesn’t understand what I mean by that, consider this.  This is my Facebook status from later that night.  I was not the only one who felt like this: Every time I try to come up with a coherent thought, everything moves. My mind reels; emotions spiral. Had not considered this actually happening. Eventually, there is always hope. For now, despair.     

Grade [my overall concert experience]: D-

p.s.: The bullets below account for what the show was like before the dynamite was lit.  What could have been…    

--- Excellent windswept visual during "Water Under the Bridge."  Not a top song, but I like the like mini safari crash section that leads to the chorus -- the bridge, if you will…

--- Missed “Hello,” “One and Only,” and the underrated “Hometown Glory” thanks to not one, but TWO drunk rental-car GPSs.  This led to the scariest drive ever – scarier nearly falling asleep on the way back from Bruce at UVA.  *Somehow* made it.

--- That car ride was the final stretch of a long, outrageous road to Adele.  It started when, for the first time ever, asking for a single ticket on the day of a “sold-out” Verizon Center show did not work.  The night before there were a number of single tickets available, but I was spoiled, decided I preferred night two, and was left with nothing.  What I considered the only other viable show on the tour was in Nashville.  So, five days later, I took a 21-hour Greyhound bus ride to Nashville!  

The night of the show, the Vivid Seats ticket person left me a voicemail and texted me, I went to the spot he said to go to, and HE NEVER APPEARED.  Two straight hours of texts, emails, and calls later, Vivid Seats and I gave up.  The company said they had never experienced something that happening before, someone communicating that night, and then effectively being kidnapped, never to be heard from again.  They ended up giving me hundreds of dollars back, hence my ability to go to Houston, and I’m glad I got to tour Nashville, but still – what a trainwreck…     

--- “Skyfall”!  HA, she keeps the Oscar next to her toilet.  Brings back memories of Caleb Johnson!  Don't know about the scary eye, but the light show and build was great.



--- “I have to warn you -- I talk a lot.”  YES, talking makes the songs that follow better.

--- “This is my 103rd of 107 shows.  I have to drink the water in Houston.” Amazing crowd work!!!

---  “A Million Years.” I’m already upset thinking of the Rock Club Jimmy Eat World debacle, and these election texts are not helping… 

--- “I'm Your Allison Krauss.”  Awww, she found an Allison Krauss sign in the bathroom in Nashville.  This makes me feel slightly better during “Don't You Remember.”

--- Lol at her drunken shout out to Sia at her show in Austin.

--- “Make You Feel My Love.”  Flashlights.  Nice restrained note at the end.  It reminds me of what a writer Bob Dylan is what performers Straight No Chaser are.

--- “Sweetest Devotion”: love the much-needed sun. The backdrop, her look, her sound!!!  I didn't even like it on the album -- now I want it to keep going.

--- I cannot keep going if people keep sending me texts like this.  I hesitate to include scary election updates in the notes, but at this point, I can’t think of anything else.  How is this happening?  Noooooo.  I have to leave.

[Endnote: Thanks to James Porter and Hark that night, and the passage of time in the weeks after, I started to feel better.  Next time, though, I'll be sure to bear in mind when I schedule concerts in November...]   

No comments:

Post a Comment