Monday, July 1, 2024

282 -- Death Cab for Cutie -- Wednesday, September 6, 2023 -- The Anthem -- DC

 --- Wow, the most crowded I’ve ever seen The Anthem. Three levels of packed! 

--- Oooh, "The New Year” has a polish, color, and energy I don’t remember. Everyone’s got electric guitars: another surprise.

--- “Lightness” is back down to earth. It’s one squeaky voice warbling through a song more suited to an album. “How’s everyone doing? Our name is Death Cab for Cutie…Let’s start again. Let’s make this f’ing great.” Hahaha, didn’t see that coming, and it makes the back half of the song rock!!

--- “Expo ‘86”!!! Underrated. Great balance of catch and release. 

--- “The Sound of Settling”: Seth Cohen ftw!! As ever, the disconnect between the rhythm and message is hilarious.

--- Crowd check-in --> I’m about to murder the jabberers to the left of me, woo to the hype man and lyrics woman behind me.

--- Omg, I cannot escape the jabberers. Why did they bother coming? Rage… 

--- WAIT, I escape, slip through several people, and am free of the morons! Just in time to enjoy the rest of…“Transatlanticism” / “Passenger Seat”!!!! The former has more muscle and movements than I remember, and the latter sounds better than ever. In the past, I’ve barely appreciated “Passenger Seat,” but back-to-back, it’s haunting. Well done.

--- “All these songs on the album are little movies of my life, but this next song is about an actual movie: ‘Death of an Interior Decorator.’” Gibberd should probably stick with his own life, as this is a big step down. 

--- Shoutout to opener Lauren Mayberry. “I’d say this is song is dedicated to her, but that’d be kind of f’d up. This is hard record to dedicate songs to.” HA.

--- “We Looked Like Giants”’s got drive! With a tender end. 

--- “A Lack of Color”!!!! I’d always liked the song but never loved it. This time, I LOVED it. The lyrics, flow, and delivery were beautiful. Plus, maracas?! Who knew. I’d worried about ending on what I thought was an uneventful song. Glad I was wrong.

Grade: B+/A-


No comments:

Post a Comment