Monday, July 1, 2024

284 -- Taylor Swift -- Friday, October 13, 2023 -- Angelika Mosaic -- Merrifield, VA

 --- There goes the inevitable “Mr. Verbicar?!” gasp as I walk in. The funniest part: pretty sure the kids assume Joe Kessler is my husband. #BrotherhoodREALLYRedefined

--- Smart to make “Heartbreak Americana” shorter. Makes for a smooth transition.

--- This version of “Cruel Summer” with a 40,000-fan panorama was much more effective than the one I heard on the treadmill…

--- She has eerie Kownacki mannerisms!!!

--- The wordplay and relevance made “The Man” my favorite song of Lover. Joe informs me the video’s also cool.

--- “Shame never made anybody less gay”: true story.

--- Surprise: “Fearless” is by far my favorite so far. Lyrically and melodically, there’s not much to it, but it has a soar and believability I hasn’t realized the Lover tracks lacked.

--- “You Belong With Me”!!!!! I fling my seat back and forth throughout. I am not the only one. 

--- “Love Story” continues the happy unity. [Since the concert, its use in the "Forks" episode of The Bear may be my favorite use of music in a show ever -- well, second to this one!!!!!!]

--- Heh at the “like a 90’s trend” line in “Willow.” The lighting, costumes, and set design are on point. It’s not cheesy Halloween. It’s elegant.

--- Love the “clever/kind” balance and the overall vibe of “marjorie”!!

--- Aww, this is the last city of the tour. Heh, Joe: “Would you describe it as being like an old cardigan?” 

--- Wow at the moss piano beneath an impressively knotty tree. This set design is something else.

--- “Champagne Problems” has way more weight than I remembered. Not a moment forced.

--- “Tolerate It”: pacing!!

--- Heh at the Reputation snake. Kids flipping out for “Ready For It” and “Delicate” is rather disturbing. LOL at the tween chorus of “1, 2, 3, Let’s Go B.” To be fair, Adam Sandler’s car song was a thrill during my era, so it makes sense.

--- “Don’t Blame Me” is entertaining.

--- Hahahaha at the theater screaming “because she’s dead” during “Look What You Made Me Do.” It is a memorable line. 

--- Joe informs me that "Enchanted" is about her relationship with the frontman for Owl City.

--- I had to pee but didn’t want to miss the start of “22”: a good sign!! 

--- Hahahah, bedlam for “22” when I come back!!! Almost better coming in to it than having stayed.

--- “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” is hilarious!!!

--- “I Knew You Were Trouble”’s beats and repeats are crisp.

--- “All Too Well” didn’t merit ten minutes. It’s good and in my wheelhouse, though, so I liked it. I think my slight reservation is its rhythm echoes Kelly Clarkson’s “Sober,” but it can’t measure up to it. If you haven’t heard “Sober,” pause, take a few minutes, and listen. In spirit, Dan O’Hara and James Porter will thank you.

--- Not sure how someone could claim this was a bad concert or film. Mileage may vary based on fandom, but it’s *really* well done.

--- Hahahah, Joe points out that there are now kids dancing directly in front of the screen -- and a few trying to literally touch Taylor.

--- I’m not a great person to judge “Betty.” It’s so rare I like midtempo.

--- “The Last Great American Dynasty” benefits from a shouted line in the middle and more outstanding visuals. Honestly, the best set design of any concert I’ve seen.

--- Wish “Mirrorball” and “Peace” made the folklore cut.

--- 4 F’s so far: for a PG-13?!

--- Maybe her best song title, “My Tears Ricochet”! Solid song too.

--- Joe and I try to remember the acoustic sleeper album coming up. I think it’s 1740; Joe thinks it’s 1492. Apparently it’s 1989

--- “Style” soars more than I remember. 

--- Heh, nice reflection on “nightmare/daydream” during “Blank Space.” Hahaha at the Tron getups and golf clubs.

--- “Shake It Off”!!!! “Bad Blood”: underrated!! The two songs flow into each other so well

--- “Our Song”!!!! Awwwwww at Joe. Singing every single word, slapping his chest, reliving his first Taylor track. It stood out to me by a mile on the first album. “Pen/napkin” is an underrated rhyme.

--- “You’re On Your Own, Kid”: love how smooth it is. If it were an Idol audition song, she’d sail through.

--- The pool dive!!! Joe questions whether she’ll make it through. She does.

--- Hahahah at the chest stroke during “Lavender Haze,” another strong song title.

--- “Anti-Hero”!!! The verses and chorus are so well balanced. Underrated.

--- “Vigilante S---”: uncomfortable, considering the children, but it nails the vibe.

--- Hahahah at the extra credit / grading on a curve in “Bejeweled.” Love the audience participation and the way she says “shimmer.”

--- Haaaaa at the “Knights of Cydonia” intro to “Mastermind.” Joe agrees it fits, as does, in spirit, Mike Vance and Mike Erickson.

--- The credits says the Music Supervisor is David Cook, and the choreographer is Mandy Moore?! (Update --> Apparently they’re definite people haha.)

--- Thank God for “Long Live” off Speak Now. Way better to end on than Midnights.

Grade: A


No comments:

Post a Comment