Tuesday, July 2, 2024

290 -- Ben Platt -- Sunday, June 23, 2024 -- Wolftrap -- Merrifield, VA

--- Hark and I started the night with Inside Out 2, so far the best film of 2024. Then, as we walk to our stage-side seats, we run into Nathan Koterba and Senani Fernando! 










Can this night get any better? [Update: just wait…]

--- Heh, the guy in front of has a Ben Platt trucker hat.

--- “Right Kind of Reckless”: good title, mediocre opener.

--- “American Queen”!!! Best new song I’ve heard in a while. From the first time I’ve heard it until now.

--- “Thank you for bringing the heat. Your fans look gorgeous actually. Everyone has a beautiful glow.” 

--- So, I was brought up gay…~Sorry for the tangent. Back to being sad and queer.”

--- All the unrequited loves combined into “Andrew.” 

--- “My new album, Honeymind, has been out a month, so if you have heard it, you’re already off brand. There are cameras here, so they’re watching and judging you.”

--- “I wanna love you, but I don't’”!!! So much better with his hilarious, earnest intro. Better vocal range than “American Queen” as well. The concert has officially started. 

--- “Rain”!! Somehow I don’t remember it from the first album, but it’s awesome. Such a different rhythm. Love the variety. 

--- “Share Your Address”!!!!

--- “If you’re here, you’re either gay or anxious. If you’re both, you win a prize. I win a prize.” Hark: “You know about anxiety,” right after we’d seen Inside Out 2. I yelp “Inside Out 2” to the crowd because, of course I do.

--- “Ease My Mind”!! I’m glad he invited me and the audience to join in, but his range is better than mine.

--- “Grow As We Go”!!!! It’s been so long since I’ve played Hark’s arm as a guitar. Clearly this one was acoustic guitar. So smooth.

--- “Shoe to Drop”: Brody, Riley, and Raffi!!!

--- James Taylor’s “Your Smiling Face”: “This song was the soundtrack to the Camp Friends section of my sister’s bar mitzvah.” Awww at him literally running off so the electric guitarist, drummer, and accompanist could take literal center stage!!!!!

--- Joni Mitchell’s “River” is haunting AF!!!! If he wanted to, I think he could make it on Broadway. Move over, Bruce, I now have two “River” songs.

--- “Shall we go and sing this in our ‘Treehouse”?” Yet another facet. He and Brandy Clark are exquisite!!!! I wonder if I could get them to come to Busboys next year…

--- “Cherry On Top”: Technically, strong as usual, but it’s midtempo, so it gives me a breather. That is about his fiancĂ© Noah.

--- “Need You Like This”: Aww, the guy in front of me is the air in my lungs, as he is loving every moment!!!! Love that Ben Platt went for it, in the song and life. Brought me to Lukas’s dad after my A Few Good Men scene at Busboys.

--- Hahaha at his Liza Minelli’s “Maybe This Time”!!!!! I have never seen an involuntary, collective ovation – like an unplanned ovation flash mob. Hehe at “See you next time” — like Riley. 

--- Awww at Hark grabbing and kissing me during “Loved You Before I Knew You” before I was about to go for it!!!! Heh at me referencing the website and the other dates.

--- “Imagine”: Not a closer, but points for the “Buddy Holly” / “Monkey Wrench” pause.

Grade: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment