Tuesday, July 2, 2024

289 – Wilco – Thursday, June 20, 2024 – Wolftrap – Vienna, VA

--- “Misunderstood”!!!! How do you start with that?! Immediate buy in. 

--- “Forget The Flowers”: I have no use for the song, but I love that they have two Being There tracks to start with! The women who have seen them since the 90s love it too.

--- Heh, the guy next to me thought “Handhake Drugs” was off Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. He also choked when he found out I was born in 1985 -- he graduated high school then. The actual song is dynamite of course!!! Love Jeff’s precise feedback solo; I swear it’s new.

--- “At Least That’s What You Said”!!!!! They actually played it -- for me! I end up yelping this to the world, and happy laughter could be heard from the rows in front and behind me. At this point, they have hundreds of songs, and they played that one. Woo. They also added piano, which it’s never had before. The piano may have taken a little away from the transition from spare to fierce, but it was worth it.

--- “I Am My Mother” and “Cruel Country”: The lyrics stand out, so it makes sense that they’d play them. Their new stuff is often indistinguishable, but I enjoy hearing the songs live.

--- “How are you all doing?” Heh, he needs to talk more, but anything is appreciated.

--- “I Am Trying To Break Your Heart”: hahaha at him mirroring the guy in the crowd with the touchdown motion. Not coincidentally, the crowd virtually all starts to stand!!!

--- “Meant To Be”: validation: this one did stand out on their most recent album, Cousin! Its insistent and upbeat. Heh, “I just sang, ‘Each day is longer than the day before.’ If I sang that tomorrow (June 21st), it wouldn’t be true anymore.” Hee!

--- “If I Ever Was A Child”: box checked off for Schmilco.

--- “I hear you when you say ‘I love you.’ I’m not ignoring you. I get it.”

--- “Theologians”!!!

--- “Cousin” has drive, but it needs variation.

--- “You guys look amazing. Earlier, when the sun was fading, it looked like the back of a Meat Puppets record.”

--- “Bird Without A Tail / Base of My Skull”: !!!!! Ironically, I stated to pre-write that the title was much more memorable than the song. Well! From there on out, it grew and grew and blew me away. I’d never even heard the song. It cut off right as I finished my run, and I’m glad it did. I could experience it first live. A minute in, I could tell it was way better than the one-note norm for most of the new albums. Then this swirling electric wormed its way in, and it was off to the races. The best part is it didn’t just throttle, which is inherently powerful live. It went in all these nuanced, comforting places that felt right. Discovery, man, there’s little better.

--- “Every once in a while, you have to ask the audience how they’re doing. Otherwise you don’t know. It’s in the rule book…[We love you, Jeff.] Thanks for loving.”

--- Aww, “Hummingbird”! I think they know it.

--- “Evicted” has a cool recurring plink. “That was a single off our last record. This is a single off our first record.” Nice! The 90s women next to me are so excited for “Box Full of Letters.”

--- Hahaha: “This is a song off our second record….[checks with the band]…our third record.” Lol! “I’m Always In Love”!! I’m not sure I’ve actually heard it live, but it’s so fun.

They need to play for another two hours!!!!

--- “Impossible Germany”: awww, the 90s woman gives me a high five at the start. Her song came! Oooh, I swear Nels switched it up. The plink is slower and smokier -- and now it goes to the moon -- and the band joins in -- wheeeeeee!!!!!

--- “Heavy Metal Drummer”: woo.

--- “A Shot In The Arm”: Seconds before I plead they play it, they PLAY IT. Fogies who wouldn’t get up earlier are nearly doing a mosh pit!!!!

--- Aww, “California Stars,” an ideal warm table-setter after the encore. Cool new piano and ghost electric as well.

--- Ha, pretty bold putting “Falling Apart (Right Now)” this late. At least they’re not pandering and are playing something they presumably like. It actually has a fun cowboy vibe — especially when the other guitars get involved.

--- Woo at “Via Chicago” — with Jeff’s son seemingly drumming!!

--- Wait, why is Jeff bringing out electric for the first time all night? It couldn’t be. It’s already super late, the song is super long, they don’t often play it, and yet again, I requested it. Yet…there it is…”Spiders”!!!!! Lawn, balcony, orchestra, and the band in a first-time call-and-response complete with a shout out to a guy lifting his crutches. Unreal.

Grade: A+


No comments:

Post a Comment